Can the brother mfc 7820 be used on a wireless network
So, you want to share a printer from a desktop computer to wireless clients. I am assuming you are using Windows XP on the desktop computer. If that is not the case, let me know if you cannot figure out corresponding steps for your operating system.
With Windows sharing, the first thing is to make certain you have all computers in the same workgroup and assign them different manes. To do this:
1. RIGHT click on 'My Computer' (either on the desktop if it is there or in the start menu).
2. Select 'Properties.'
3. Click on 'Computer Name.'
4. Click 'Change.'
5. In computer name, type a name for each computer (perhaps 'desktop' and xx-laptop, replacing xx with your initials); it doesn't matter what you put here, they just cannot be the same on any two computers.
6. Make certain the workgroup radio button is selected and type a workgroup name. The workgroup name must be the same on all computers to make this work easily. Anything will do. Common chioces are your last name, 'workgroup', and 'mshome'.
7. Click 'ok' and 'ok' and allow your computer to reboot if you changed anything. Remember to do this on the desktop and all the computers you are going to use the printer with, too.
Now, we need to set up sharing on the desktop. I am assuming that the printer works from the desktop without problem. You have probably already done the following, but check it to be sure:
1. Open the printer dialog (Start-->Printers and Faxes OR if that isn't there Start-->Control Panel-->Printers and Faxes).
2. Right click the printer you want to share.
3. Select 'Sharing'.
4. Assign a share name.
Finally, on the laptop you need to set up the printer:
1. Go to 'My Network Places' (one way is by opening 'My Computer' and clicking 'My Netowrk Places' at the left.
2. Select the name you gave to the desktop (if this is not here, we will need to troubleshoot other parts of your network).
3. The shared printer should show up.
4. RIGHT click on the printer and select 'Install/Connect'.
5. If it asks for a driver, provide the driver file.
6. Print something ;)
Feb 10, 2009 |
Brother Printers & Copiers