Question about Kenmore HE2 Plus Front Load Washer
Welcome to FixYa.
The "F21" on your model of washer indicates the machine has detected a fault or obstruction in the drain process, as you already know based on your post...
"What I would like to do now is remove the drain pump filter and check for foreign objects and/or debris, but I don\'t know how to access it or what it looks like. Can you tell me how to access the drain pump filter"
Chances are the pump itself is being obstructed by debris or some other foreign object as opposed to being faulty, although a faulty pump can`t be ruled out...yet.
Here`s how to check it and clean it...there is also a bellows at the bottom I`ll show you how to check & clean once you proceed through these steps.
**Turn off the breaker at the service panel or unplug the washer from the wall socket...safety first**
1) locate the screws in front at the very bottom of the panel below the door and pull the panel down and forward until it is off. They will be either 1/4" hex head or #20 torx head screws.
2) You will immediately see the drain pump in front of you with a large removable filter. ( **see image below...this is were a wet-dry shop vac and towels come in handy, also the use of the removed panel as a catch pan is beneficial...but you may still get wet )
3) Turn it counter-clockwise should allow you to remove it and inspect it and clean it out. Make a good thorough inspection inside the pump as well not just the removable filter.
4) Re-insert the filter and before placing the panel back run a test rinse/drain cycle to inspect for leaks and to verify the unit drains and spins now.
( If the problem still exist`s the "F21" will re-appear. If so you`ll need to check the hose/rubber bellows from pump to tub...back-flow ball...for other obstructions ).
5) If all appears OK after your efforts, well your efforts paid off...pat yourself on the back. You just saved yourself potentially a couple hundred bucks !
Now You should be good to go. Re-attach the lower panel and you`re back in business.
**NOTE: if this still fails to remedy the F21 or if it returns immediately during the next drain you may require a pump unfortunately...part # 280187 available at "searspartsdirect.com" "repairclinic.com" etc.
**This however can also be caused by the back-flow ball inside the bellows which connects the tub to the pump. There is a large clamp which secures it to the tub, but if you remove it to clean out all the dirt built up inside, make sure you get it good and secure when putting it back.** I have an HEplus washer and experiencing an error - 02d1e9d.jpg>
Let me know how it goes and if you require further assistance.
Thanks for choosing FixYa. Please take a moment to rate the solution provided for you here today.
Posted on Oct 11, 2010
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 09, 2016 | Maytag Washing Machines
Jun 27, 2014 | Kenmore HE3T Washer
Sep 24, 2012 | Frigidaire GLTF2940ES Front Load Washer
Jun 30, 2010 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Apr 02, 2010 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Mar 28, 2010 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Nov 25, 2009 | Whirlpool Duet 3.8 cu. ft. Front Load...
Jul 09, 2009 | Whirlpool Cabrio WTW6600SBT Top Load...
Jan 28, 2009 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
Jan 07, 2009 | Kenmore 46462 Front Load Washer
498 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: