Question about Audio & Video Receivers
I opened my receiver up and found the fan not working. So I took the front of the unit off so that I could access the fan. It looked brand new so I don't think it ever worked. I checked the fan connection with a volt meter and found 12 v only the fan still would not run. I took the red wire coming from the fan and put it to ground. Cut the yellow wire off the fan. and the black wire to the middle of the connector on board. there the fan worked. now I have a working fan. maybe this could be your fix just don't lose the screws and remember how this comes apart. I know the fan works not so sure it fixes problem but at least the fan is working so thats a start. At least it won't overheat. hope this helps
Posted on Nov 22, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 27, 2014 | Pioneer Audio & Video Receivers
Mar 24, 2011 | Pioneer VSX-816-K/S Receiver
blinks in the display, then the power automatically switches off.
• Something is obstructing the fan. Remove the obstruction and try switching the receiver back on. If the
fan is still not working, or you can't remove the object, unplug the receiver from the wall and call a Pioneer
authorized independent service company.
• The fan is malfunctioning. Unplug the receiver from the wall and call a Pioneer authorized independent
Check for dust balls in and around it. Disconenct power before exploring inside.
Feb 07, 2011 | Pioneer VSX-2016 7.1 Channels Receiver
Generally speaking, an amp protects itself from heat, shorts and overloads.
Overloads can be from excessive periods of high output and shorts would be wiring issues or a speaker blowing up.
You should be able to feel if it's hot. WHY is it overheating? Make sure it has sufficient ventilation on all sides and that vent holes are not blocked by dust balls. Ensure the fan (if equipped) is running as designed (some only operate on demand). Clean dust and debris from it.
If the amp comes back on after cooling, you're lucky. They only have so many self-protection cycles in their lives so continuously resetting or cycling their power without addressing the cause can do more harm than good.
If it protects immediately on a cool power up you should disconnect the speaker connections and try it 'naked'. If it comes up then diagnose which lead(s) are shorted. If it does not come up the problem is internal and should be left to an experienced hands-on tech.
Jan 25, 2011 | Pioneer VSX-817-S
Jan 05, 2011 | Pioneer VSX-33TX Receiver
Nov 13, 2010 | Pioneer VSX-818V-K Receiver
Mar 18, 2008 | Pioneer VSX-816-K/S Receiver
Dec 20, 2007 | Pioneer VSX-816-K/S Receiver
Nov 30, 2007 | Pioneer VSX-816-K/S Receiver
533 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!