Question about Washing Machines
Welcome to FixYa.
The "F21" on your model of washer indicates the machine has detected a fault or obstruction in the drain process.
Chances are the pump itself is being obstructed by debris or some other foreign object as opposed to being faulty, although a faulty pump can`t be ruled out...yet.
Here`s how to check it and clean it...
Though it being full of water may make it messy. A wet-dry shop vac is handy in this situation.
If it is in a position that allows you too lean it back against something strong or a second set of hands it will help if tilted back almost all the way.
Careful not to hurt the machine or yourself, and undo the fill hoses and drain hose.
**Turn off the breaker at the service panel or unplug the washer from the wall socket...safety first**
1) locate the screws in front at the very bottom of the panel below the door and pull the panel down and forward until it is off. They will be either 1/4" hex head or #20 torx head screws.
2) You will immediately see the drain pump in front of you with a large removable filter. ( **see image below...this is were a wet-dry shop vac and towels come in handy, also the use of the removed panel as a catch pan is beneficial...but you may still get wet )
3) Turn it counter-clockwise should allow you to remove it and inspect it and clean it out. Make a good thorough inspection inside the pump as well not just the removable filter.
4) Re-insert the filter and before placing the panel back run a test rinse/drain cycle to inspect for leaks and to verify the unit drains and spins now.
( If the problem still exist`s the "F21" will re-appear. If so you`ll need to check the hose/rubber bellows from pump to tub...back-flow ball...for other obstructions ).
5) If all appears OK after your efforts, well your efforts paid off...pat yourself on the back. You just saved yourself potentially a couple hundred bucks !
Now You should be good to go. Re-attach the lower panel and you`re back in business.
**NOTE: if this still fails to remedy the F21 or if it returns immediately during the next drain you may require a pump unfortunately...part # 280187 available at "searspartsdirect.com" "repairclinic.com" etc.
**This however can also be caused by the back-flow ball inside the bellows which connects the tub to the pump. There is a large clamp which secures it to the tub, but if you remove it to clean out all the dirt built up inside, make sure you get it good and secure when putting it back.**
Let me know how it goes and if you require further assistance.
Thanks for choosing FixYa. Please take a moment to rate the solution provided for you here today.
Posted on Oct 10, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 09, 2016 | Maytag Washing Machines
Mar 11, 2015 | Kenmore HE2 Plus Front Load Washer
Oct 20, 2012 | Kenmore Elite HE5t Washer
The F21 error code indicates a long drain time on this type of washer. The door will not unlock if the washer control detects that water is still in the tub. To manually unlock the washer door, take these steps:
After opening the door and removing the clothes, I recommend emptying any remaining water in the tub with a wet/dry vacuum (or bail it out). Since you already have the bottom front service panel off and the washer unplugged, you can arrange shallow pans and towels to catch any remaining water and pull the large item filter out of the drain pump assembly as shown in the second image below. You may find a clog in this area that is preventing your washer from draining properly. Clear any clog or debris from this area and reassemble the washer. Check your drain hose for a kink or clog. Check the washer house drain for a clog or restriction. Test the washer to see if it will drain properly.
Other issues that can cause this problem include:
Apr 17, 2012 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Apr 15, 2012 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Aug 17, 2010 | Kenmore Washing Machines
May 18, 2010 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Mar 09, 2010 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Jan 13, 2010 | Kenmore HE2 Plus Front Load Washer
Jan 08, 2009 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
352 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!