Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Kenmore microwave wont heat food

Last night when using my microwave i started to smell something burning when the timer when off i noticed it was not my food. When I went to heat something else it had no power and the circuit breaker on that outlet had tripped, I reset the circuit breaker and the plugged the microwave back in and it came on, all the lights come on, the table turns and the noise it makes is the same but now it is not heating anything, also when i tried to use again on a different outlet everything came on great but it still would not heat the food, but the outside metal part of the microwave is getting hot to touch, is this something that can be repaired easily by me or do i need a tech? Is the repair expensive going to be more than replacing it?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Microwave Ovens Master
  • 8,820 Answers

I would suspect you have a failed high voltage transformer or maybe magnetron.

If you or someone you know wants to look into this, we have critical safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

You can usually find exploded views and part prices by entering your FULL model number here: http://www.searspartsdirect.com

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jun 08, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

My frigadare microwave runs normal but wont heat the food


From the description you have provided, the magnetron has shorted. This a job for a professional because there is lethal voltages present that will kill.

Mar 27, 2012 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

We were using the microwave the other night and it started making a loud noise like the fan was running (although the fan was not). We let it sit for awhile and try to use it again but the noise came...


The loud noise and no heat means that the magnetron has failed. It the part that generates the microwaves that heat the food. When it fails it shorts out, causing the transformer to heat up. That is what was causing the burning smell. The cost of a replacement magnetron is around $130-150 range so it may not make sense to have it fixed.

Mar 24, 2011 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My Kenmore 721.626222 which I have had about 6 years, runs but does not heat. There is also a strange smell - something like a burning smell.


When the oven does not heat, the problem is usually due to the magnetron failing. It the part that generates the microwaves that heat the food. It fails by shorting out causing a loud buzzing noise. The burning smell is the being magnetron overloaded due to the short. It not worth fixing since the replacement cost of a magnetron is close to the price of a new oven. Sorry.

Feb 09, 2011 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

When I start the microwave, it has a funny smell


Sounds like you burned out the magnetron, if so you should discontinue use immediately. This is the bit that emits the microwaves and they will fail with a burnt faintly oily smell to an acrid chemical smell. Magneton replacement should not be attempted by the amateur fix-it man, Find a reputable appliance repair shop or chuck it in!

May 12, 2010 | GE JEM31 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a Kenmore Elite microwave oven... 69-65e05590-000637. We noticed that it would not heat food or liquids... played with the power level a bit and it started to heat again...then a day or two later we...


Is this oven still under warranty? If so, take advantage. If not, remove the power plug and the case. Short out, with a screwdriver, the large can-shaped capacitor with two terminals sticking out. Check the wiring and circuit board for signs of burning. If everything looks ok, remove the thin sheet metal wave guide that sits above or beside the microwave energy port into the cooking cavity. Under the sheet metal, there is a metal fan-like device called a 'stirrer' that has a plastic bearing. Remove this stirrer and smell the bearing. If it smells like the burning wire smell, replace the stirrer. You can buy it through 'Sears Parts' online.

Sep 14, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Microwave will not heat food. punch in heating time, press start and nothing happens


HI. your control board has failed. you will need to replace the control board asap if possible.

May 30, 2009 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have an Amana Microwave mvh250C, won't warm food


Absolutely not worth fixing as a brand new one with lots of features can now be purchased for as little as fifty dollars.

May 14, 2009 | Amana MVH250 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My Sharp R-340D microwave works perfectly but Does NOT HEAT FOOD


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101

fggfd

Sep 22, 2008 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat


A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE PRofile Spacemaker XL Microwave Oven Model# JVM1460 950 watts


Sounds like the problem is in the high voltage. Most common would be magnatron, capacitor and diode. For safety reasons this should be checked by a professional. Look in your owners manual because some high voltage parts have a longer warranty than 1 yr.

Oct 09, 2007 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

189 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...