Microwave on the blink after power outage in the neighborhood
The power went out in the neighborhood. microwave not working
after that. power outlet is ok. wondering if there is a
reset button somewhere - do not see it externally. It is an over
the counter model. It's old, but we don't use it that much.
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The power outage may have been accompanied with a power surge. That can happen with lightning strikes, or if a large inductor (electric motor or equivalent) happened to be on the same power line at the time of the outage. There's a good chance a surge took out the control panel.
Usually the microwave is plugged into a ground fault protected outlet. Push the buttons on the receptical and power should come on. The ground fault may be above your counter top and protects the plug your microwave is pluffed into.
Are you sure you have power at the outlet? If not check your circut breaker box. You may have a GFI circut. The GFI outlets are very sensitive. They have reset button and test button. If other "non GFI" outlets are on the same cirute they are affected by the GFI outlet. The GFI outlets do fail at times, and need to be replaced. Have you had recent power outage? Sometimes our "smart devices" are too smart.
If you have power, I'd unplug for a few hours and see if that might reset it's "brain" If that doesn't help you may have a panel problem. Owner's manual? Check troubleshooting section. Warranty?, pursue that. Age of microwave? Consider the cost of repair vs. finding a lightly used "working" microwave.
Check to see if circuit breaker is tripped in the electrical panel, or if it is connected to a ground fault outlet, it may have tripped. Sometimes there is one ground fault outlet serving others in series in the kitchen.
First, try unplugging the microwave for 2 to 5 minutes and then plugging it back in. Sometimes, a very brief power outage will be sensed by the control as an internal error and the control will lock itself out.
If it continues to blink and does not respond to key presses after this "hard reset", it is likely a portion of the control board could have been damaged from the power outage.
FYI ... the touch panel for this model is no longer available. I mention that because no response from any key press can also denote a shorted key pad.
Hello if you have no power at the outlet, you may have saved your microwave. If the outlet is dead go to your house electrical panel and reset the breaker or replace the fuse. if the outlet is live and the microwave still won't power on you will have to choose between repair and replacement. Definitely get an estimate before agreeing to a repair as microwaves are very inexpensive today compared to even a couple of years ago.
Is the outlet ok? Can you plug somethng else into the outlet to see if the fuse or breaker controlling the outlet is ok? If there is power at the outlet, unplug the unit and remove the outside cover.
Look for a blown fuse on the motherboard. Replace it with the EXACT value of the original fuse. You can purchase a new fuse at Radio Shack or hardware store or auto parts store. Try powering up the unit again and see if it works now or whether the fuse blows again. If it blows again, the power supply may have been damaged. Was this a power outage or surge? Was anything else in your home affected?