Question about Kenmore Elite Oasis 27052 Top Load Washer
This advice is for Kenmore & Whirlpool TOP LOADING washing machines equipped with a DIRECT-DRIVE type transmission. This is NOT for older models equipped with a wig-wag transmission that are BELT driven. Read the instructions thoroughly BEFORE attempting. This is a simple repair that can be accomplished easily if you follow the steps provided:
1. Unplug washing machine.
2. Remove console. This can be accomplished in one of two ways depending on which type of console you have.
a. If the console has removable end caps, the caps lift off by prying on the top from the back of the washer. The cap will pull off towards you as you are facing the unit from the front of the washer. There will be a screw under each end cap that you will need to remove.
b. If the console does not have removable end caps, you will need to slide a putty knife under the front corner of each side and push in while lifting up. There is a retaining clip under each side that has to be released.
3. Once the console has been released it will lift up and fold back over the back of the washer in its resting position. Use care not to stress the small plastic hinges that hold it on. They can break easily.
4. Under the console will be two large brass colored clips. Take a large flat blade screwdriver and place it in the groove of the clip on the washer top. With the screwdriver firmly in the groove, push away from you towards the back of the washer. This will release the clips.
5. Disconnect the lid switch connector plug. This is the white colored plug on the washer top under the console.
6. Remove the washer casing. Open the lid of the washer. Using one hand, grip under the front rim of the washer opening. Do not grab the wash tub, just the casing. Tilt the washer case from the back first towards you, slide forward slightly, and then lift up. The entire case comes off exposing the wash tub and components.
7. Locate the water pump. It is a small plastic pump with two hoses connected to it, directly under the front of the wash tub. It is advisable at this point to drain the residual water from the wash tub. This will save you a lot of clean up time later. Here's a helpful HINT: If you own a wet/dry shop vac, remove the drain hose from the standpipe at the wall. Connect the shop vac to the end of the drain line and pull a vacuum on it. This will quickly drain the residual water and leave you with little to no mess. If you do not own a shop vac, remove the lower hose from the pump and place a pan or a bunch of old towels under it & allow to drain.
8. Remove the water pump by removing the two retaining clips. The front of the clip pops off with a gentle pry of a screwdriver, while the back is in a keyed slot. Once released from the pump, turn the clip to remove from the slot. Pull the pump off the motor shaft and remove both hoses. HINT: This is a good time to inspect the drain lines for any debris that may have gotten lodged in the lines.
9. Install new water pump. You may have to rotate the motor shaft slightly to get the slot on the water pump to line up correctly on the motor shaft. Make sure you re-install the retaining clips correctly. Insert the keyed end first, then turn and snap them in place over the pump.
10. Re-install washer case. With the lid of the washer open, place grasp case under front rim and place it on the washer frame. While looking down through the washer lid opening, make sure the front lip of the case is placed UNDER the washer frame and rocked back onto the frame to ensure that the small cleats on the frame fit into the slotted grooves on the washer case base. If you do not get the case seated correctly it will rattle and vibrate while the washer is in operation.
11. Make the back of the washer fits into the washer casing on each side and reinsert the brass clips. Place the clip into the slot on the back of the washer first, and then forcefully push it into the opening on top of the washer. It will snap back into to place.
12. REINSTALL LID SWITCH CONNECTOR. It is easy to forget. If you do not reconnect it, the washer will not work correctly.
13. Reinstall console.
NOTE: This water pump IS NOT serviceable. Meaning, it does not come apart. You can, at times, manage to dislodge items that have become stuck in the pump by slowly rotating the shaft backwards (with the pump removed from the washer) while pulling the object free. Sometimes this works, but sometimes the seal becomes damaged. Panty hose, underwear and the under wire from bras are notorious for getting stuck in these pumps. HINT: It is STRONGLY recommended that you use small nylon garment bags while washing some of your smaller items like this.
I know it seems like a lot, but it is an easy process if you take your time and follow the steps as written.A new washer pump should cost about $40.
Posted on Oct 08, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 09, 2014 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
Jan 08, 2011 | Kenmore Front Load Washer
Jan 03, 2011 | Kenmore HE3T Washer
Oct 07, 2010 | Kenmore HE2 Plus Front Load Washer
Nov 09, 2009 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Jul 15, 2009 | Kenmore 3.8 cu. ft. HE3t Front Load Washer
Jul 10, 2009 | Kenmore Washing Machines
May 24, 2009 | Washing Machines
Jan 28, 2009 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
63 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: