Question about Troy-Bilt Pony Garden Tiller
No spark at all on a old briggs and stratton. I suspect the magneto.
There are a number of things that could prevent your plug from sparking. Here are some things to check before you replace the mag.:
1) Make sure all control switches are turned to the 'on' or 'run' position.
2) Check the ignition wire's connection to the spark plug. The round clamp that meets the spark plug can sometimes loosen over time. You can tighten it by first disconnecting the spark plug, then gently crimping the end of the ignition wire that grabs the top of the spark plug with a pair of pliers and refitting it to the spark plug.
3) Is there a kill switch or a grounding lug that is stuck to ground, preventing the plug from firing? Sometimes those metal tabs that ground out the plug get bent into the 'off' position.
4) Are all the electrical connections clean and snug?
5) Are the flywheel magnets dirty? Roughing them up with sandpaper and wiping them down with some solvent is sometimes all you need to generate a better spark.
6) Check that the points are properly timed and gapped. Even if they are good, improper gapping can leave you without spark. They should be about a matchbook's thickness apart at top dead center.
--Hope this helps, Joe
Posted on Oct 08, 2010
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 12, 2017 | Briggs & Stratton Garden
Jul 30, 2014 | Briggs & Stratton Briggs Stratton...
Mar 15, 2014 | Briggs & Stratton Garden
May 24, 2011 | Briggs & Stratton Garden
Dec 10, 2010 | Briggs & Stratton Hammering
Jun 29, 2010 | Briggs Stratton H7159 & Stratton® 5500,...
Nov 30, 2009 | Air Tools & Compressors
Jul 01, 2014 | Troy-Bilt Pony Garden Tiller
531 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: