Thanks a bunch.. You really helped me out here.. I will let you know how it goes.. Will have to brush up on my soldering technique, there are a lot of prongs here(23) numbers 1-3 don't seem to be going to anything as there is no solder present.. I was told to use a de-solder device to remove the old solder since it will be dificult to pry off each prong one by one to remove the whole component. Once I get all the prongs loose, then I believe the metal coolant towers will pry off the posts.. Seems like the posts are soldered to the board, but the metal towers should slide off the threaed posts. You have been very helpful, let me know if I am on the right track??
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Unplug it and check the carbon brushes under the black screw caps on the sides. BE CAREFUL they only fit properly one way so take note of where the chamfered corner goes. Next check for loose or broken wires under back cover. After that it's going to get tricky.
If you have a relay to the starter solenoid then red one from the battery then red from the relay to the starter solenoid. The starter solenoid earth wire goes into the starter housing for the brushes if not then the red wire from the battery goes direct to the starter solenoid big terminal. The other big terminal will already got inside the housing. That takes care of the really heavy wires . The small wire goes to the little terminal between the big terminals.
You need to replace the belt whenever the green brush indicator light goes out or is not steady. Be sure to observe the wear settings when re-installing the brush. The ends of the brush are marked with 1, 2, or 3 notches and numbers. In normal use the brush should have setting # 1 towards the rug. These settings adjust the brush for wear, and moving the bristles out prematurely will result in excess brush and belt wear.
Thanks for your question, Changing the brushes might help, but more often since you said its really stiff, something in the motor over heated and it would probably benefit you more to change out the motor, the windings could be burned up, at least you will have the peace of mind that you know your motor wont lock up again. if it were me, I would replace over repair, hope this helps, please rate this and let us know what happens, thanks again, mr.grzz
I decided to take it apart and see if I could fix it because even if something inside went "SPROING" and I couldn't get it back together, it wouldn't be any worse than it was already.
FIrst, remove the dust bin part and the brushes. Then, there are four screws on the bottom gray panel which have to be removed first in order to get to the gears which hold the brushes. I did not remove the little sweeper brush on the front, but I just slide it through the hole in the gray panel.
Then in order to get out the orange section which actually holds the brushes, there are four screws which must be removed. The orange section is attached to a blue section. This entire unit comes out by sliding it toward the area where the dust bin goes, being careful not to tear the light gray rubber gasket which covers the side.
Once that section is removed, there are two screws on each side. These screws hold the orange thing to the blue thing. Once the screws are removed, lift up only the side which has the white squares into which the brushes are inserted. These are actually the back side of little gears. There is a face plate on the outside of the orange part on this end. The other end contains a bunch of wires and I was careful not to disconnect any of them.
The face plate has six screws which must all be removed. Use caution when removing the face plate. Hold it up so that all of the stuff doesn't fall out. It has a bunch of gears, little brass looking fittings and grease. Take care to only remove the gears which have the squares which hold the brushes AND do it one at a time unless you like working jigsaw puzzles. I used tweezers and a pin to clean the "gunk" consisting of hair, fuzz, etc., out of the little gears.
Reverse the process to put it back together. Hazel, my little Roomba, played me a happy little song and immediately went back to work. She seems as good as new.