Question about Canon PowerShot A540 Digital Camera
It was Ok for downloading photos to my PC. Not sure what happened, starting couple days ago, the camera cannot connect to PC anymore.
Here are the steps to take.
1. Establish whether or not you have a connection between your camera/computer by going to your start button, control panel, system, hardware tab and device manager. The camera must be powered on and in playback mode (should automatically go to playback mode when connected, camera's screen should go black if there is a connection). Make sure you have a fully or nearly fully charged battery in your camera.
2. Once in device manager, look under Imaging Devices. If your camera is properly connected it should show up as Canon Powershot SD800. If it shows a yellow exclamation point, there is a driver issue, and even if it doesn't show a yellow exclamation point, you may want to update your driver anyway by right clicking and having the system search automatically for driver updates. If download of driver begins, great...once finished, restart camera and your problem may be resolved.
3. If there are any other imaging devices, you may have to temporarily disable them to avoid conflicts.
4. If you have any other imaging software running, exit or close the program in your system tray (down by your clock in the right hand corner of your computer's desktop.
5. Try again to connect.
6. If you are on a desktop, try a rear usb port vs. a front port. You can also try a different port on a laptop. After each change, try restarting camera to establish connection.
7. Go to start/My Computer and look for the icon for your camera...you will be able to download images even without Canon software loaded onto computer so this is not a software issue if you have no hardware connection. If you see the icon, right click on it and choose Get or Import pictures. From there the default Microsoft scanner and camera wizard should launch and you will be able to import your images.
8. If still no connection, try going to Start/Run and type in services.msc here you are looking for 4 services to be running. Check under status of each service and make sure it reads that each of these services are started.
If all of these steps fail, try purchasing an SD card reader from your local electronics store for around $12 and download images from there. Canon also offers lifetime technical support for your Powershot, so give them a call if none of these steps work or if you would like someone to walk you through it.
Best of luck to you!
Posted on May 30, 2008
Try z diffrent computer and if that don't work a diffrent cable. If you are still having a issue it is your mainboard and it needs replacement that can cost 70.00 plus check out my page www.digitalcamrepair.com
Posted on May 29, 2008
a 6ya Expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to an Expert (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 17, 2012 | Canon PowerShot A540 Digital Camera
Jan 18, 2011 | Canon PowerShot A540 Digital Camera
Dec 29, 2010 | Canon PowerShot A540 Digital Camera
May 28, 2010 | Canon PowerShot A540 Digital Camera
Jun 20, 2009 | Canon Cameras
Feb 10, 2009 | Canon PowerShot A540 Digital Camera
Jan 20, 2009 | Canon PowerShot A540 Digital Camera
Aug 08, 2008 | Canon PowerShot A540 Digital Camera
Mar 19, 2008 | Canon PowerShot A95 Digital Camera
Sep 03, 2007 | Canon PowerShot A540 Digital Camera
150 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!