Question about HP Photosmart C5180 All-In-One InkJet Printer
you first activate a CLEAN PRINTHEAD
routine from the TOOLS/MAINTENANCE menu to see if you can blow/**** ink down
and thru the PRINTHEAD nozzle plate. You may also need to place a damp cloth
under the printhead to help 'wet' the nozzle plate in an effort to remove
residual black ink buildup...you can find some youtube videos on how to do this.
For additional HP02 support information, please visit our HP02 system support
page which includes videos of procedures below: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=1372
The permanent PRINTHEAD may be electrically damaged (unfortunately it is not replaceable; you can verify this by performing the following):
To bypass INK SYSTEM FAILURE message please see the HP Printer Diagnostics Tests file (pdf) for instructions: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=1813
Verify the permanent built-in PRINTHEADs electrical performance inside this legacy printer model by running the TAP 43 diagnostic test (either one of the procedures below applies to all printers which use HP02 or HP363 ink cartridges): For additional HP02 support information, please visit our HP02 system support page which includes videos of everything mentioned below: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=1372
A. HP02 ink-series printers with KEYPAD (i.e. keypad numbers 1-9)
Tap 43 PRINTHEAD Health Diagnostics:
Video Procedure: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=2391
1. Press * and # keys simultaneously.
2. "Enter Special Key Combo" will be displayed.
3. Press 123 to display the 'Support/Service' menu.
4. At 'Support/Service' menu, click the Right Arrow 3 times until Special Reports menu is displayed.
5. Select Ok, then click Right Arrow 2 times until the 'print-mech button tap' menu is displayed.
6. Select Ok ('code = 0' will be displayed); click and hold Right Arrow until 'code = 43' is displayed. Use the Left Arrow if you need to decrease numerical count.
7. Select Ok. The test page prints.
8. Check the 4th line at the top of the printed report; an electrically good/stable PRINTHEAD 'Pen Status' will state "Pen Status: Pen OK".........if any other message is displayed then the PRINTHEAD may have failed and may need to be replaced (if part is still available). It is suggested to perform the 'Printer Reset' procedure below to first rule out printer firmware related problem.
B. HP02 ink-series printer models that DO NOT HAVE a KEYPAD:
Internal Test Print:
1. Press the Menu button, press the Right Arrow button to select 'Tools', and then press 'OK'.
2. Press the Right Arrow button several times to select 'Print Test Page', and then press 'OK'. The test page prints.
Tap 43 PRINTHEAD Health Diagnostics - See Video Procedure: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=2377
1. Turn ON the printer.
2. Press and Hold the "Print Photos" & "Red Eye Removal" buttons.
3. Release both buttons.
4. You will see a new screen that says, "Enter Special Key Combo"... The Key combo is: press and release in sequence the "Red Eye Removal", "Print Photos", and then "Red Eye Removal"
5. Scroll through the menu by pressing the right arrow button until the display says 'Special Reports'.
6. Select Ok, then press the arrow button until the 'print-mech button tap' menu is displayed.
7. Select Ok ('code = 0' will be displayed); click and hold Right Arrow until 'code = 43' is displayed.
8. Select Ok. The test page prints.
9. Check the 4th line at the top of the printed report; an electrically good/stable PRINTHEAD 'Pen Status' will state "Pen Status: Pen OK".........if any other message is displayed then the PRINTHEAD may have failed (unfortunately the PRINTHEAD is not replaceable). It is suggested to perform the 'Printer Reset' procedure below to first rule out printer firmware related problem.
NOTE: In most cases when the HP02 cartridge is not recognized, or has poor connectivity, you will normally receive an "Unrecognized Cartridge" or "Cartridge Problem" error message with a big RED X; in most cases (like 99.3%) the smart chip needs to be replaced with a new one - please note the chip life has 25 month expiration window from the time the HP02 (or 363 in the UK) cartridge is initially installed into the printer. Costco USA/Canada and Fry's Electronic's (along with some Best Buy stores in Canada) provide a top-notch refilling/chip re-programming service today...check it out:
For additional and advanced HP printer diagnostics, please visit: http://inkjet411.com/?page_id=1813
To help solve other HP02 ink-series printer/printing related issues please visit http://www.inkjet411.com
Posted on Jul 26, 2013
Black printer ink in HP Photosmart may fail to be recognized by the printer. Most times an error message will be sent indicating that something is wrong with the black print cartridge. Sometimes the printer may accept to print with the black ink, but the printouts may have horizontal lines and very illegible letters. In such a case a manual cleaning of the print head should be carried out. In doing the manual cleaning, one should spray Windex heavily on paper towel and wipe off the surface of the print head.
Posted on Oct 13, 2010
* the BLACK ink-cartridge is empty
* the ink-jets that shoot the BLACK ink onto the paper are clogged
* replace the BLACK cartridge
* start the HP Printer Assistant and run a "print-head-cleaning" cycle.
Posted on Oct 07, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: will not print blue
Try this I triedi in my printer cartridge which was stuck for a while and only prints in red other colors dont. First you remove the cartridges get a clean dry tissue / towel paper and smudge the cartridge printing heads to the tissue it should give all the colors if not the ones that dont may have hardened. Get warm water (Clean) in a bowel and submerge the printing heads on the water not the entire cartridge to dissolve any deposits then try them again. Hope it works it worked on mine.
Posted on May 31, 2008
Hi hope you fine.
is it just a spot or a continous line kind of?
is just a spot check the service kit on the front door (ETB ) alighnment might be touching the prnt drum units.
Posted on Sep 29, 2008
If you're setting up the printer or changing the toner or ink cartridge for the first time, double-check the instructions to make sure that you installed the cartridge correctly and, for new printers, that you have removed all the pieces of cardboard or plastic packing material.
Check to see whether paper is feeding from the paper tray. If it's not leaving the tray at all, try feeding a page manually (if that's an option) or using a different paper tray. Sometimes a problem with the tray can be traced to a broken spring or a piece of plastic.
If paper is feeding from the tray but jamming in the printer, examine where the jam is occurring and then inspect the printer carefully to see if you can find what is causing the problem. A piece of paper, for instance, might be blocking the paper path.
If paper is feeding through the printer but coming out blank, check to see whether the printer is out of toner or ink. A defective toner or ink cartridge could be the problem.
Posted on Dec 04, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
May 14, 2012 | HP Officejet 6000 All-In-One InkJet...
Feb 04, 2011 | Dell 3100cn Laser Printer
Mar 05, 2010 | Dell 810 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jul 27, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Jul 11, 2009 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Jun 27, 2009 | Office Equipment & Supplies
May 22, 2009 | Compaq Inkjet IJ600 Printer
283 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!