Question about Dell Optiplex 740 Desktop Desktop Computer
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Optiplex GX260 won't boot
I had the same issue and accidentally discovered a temporary solution. Unplug the power from the back of the machine, open the case and unplug the ATX power connection from the motherboard. With the ATX cable unplugged, plug the power cord back in. When you try to turn the computer back on the power light should turn orange and fans should be spinning, with it powered on plug the ATX connector back in. That should turn the computer off. Turn it back on and it should boot fine. You can even shutdown and restart, but when the power is unplugged you will have to go thru the same process to get it back up. This sounds crazy but it worked on mine. Good Luck!
Posted on Jul 31, 2009
Sounds like you only have power going to your motherboard.
The power supply might be bad on it, that or maybe the power cord is going bad and is only letting a small amount go through. I don't see why there should be a problem if you have even a little bit of power going though.
Posted on Jul 11, 2009
SOURCE: black screen on start up
unplug the system
open the case
look for a battery and take it out
take out the memory (rams)
wait ten minutes
press power button 5 times
put everything back in
and boot it
Posted on Jan 12, 2008
1. Remove All External Devices
2. Check the Computer's Power LED
3. If the power LED has not changed unplug the Power Cable From the Computer Disconnect All Hard Drive Power and Data Cables and power on the computer. If still no go.
4. Remove All PCI, PCI-E, and AGP Expansion Cards .
5. Remove All Memory From the Computer
6. Reseat the ATX and 12-Volt Connections . The ATX connector will be a 4 pin square connector connecting to the motherboard from the power supply and the 12-Volt Connection would be the biggest connector with a lot of colored wires.
7. If still no go.
8. Disconnect the Power Connection to the Chassis Fan
9. If the light still flashes then it could be a power supply or motherboard failure. Try a good know power supply first and if that does not fix the problem it is the motherboard. Also check the back of the tower for 4 lights lables ABCD or 1234.
Rate if useful.
Posted on Aug 11, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
For the Optiplex 320, a flashing amber light with no sound indication can mean 3 things.
1) Your power supply has failed
2) Your motherboard failed, most likely from a bad capacitor.
3) The front panel board (where the power button is located) is faulty or not connected properly.
I've worked with 10's of 1000's of Dell Optiplex's over the past 8 years and the flashing amber light is well known as a tell-tail sign of one of those three failure. Always start your trouble shoot with a PSU tester, then inspect the motherboard for domed or split/leaking capacitors...then on to the front panel which would require another panel and ribbon from the same model.
Jan 25, 2014 | Dell Optiplex GX280 (99301) Motherboard
Oct 09, 2013 | Dell Optiplex 740 Desktop Desktop Computer...
Mar 28, 2013 | Dell OptiPlex 740 PC Desktop
Feb 15, 2013 | Dell Optiplex 740 Desktop Desktop Computer...
A solid green light means the computer is operating normally.
A solid yellow:- the power is operating fine but your computer not processing data. This could mean there is a problem with the CPU or another component on the motherboard.
A blinking yellow light: power supply is receiving power from the wall, but not functioning properly. This generally means the power supply itself is bad and should be tested or replaced.
A blinking green light means the computer is in standby mode
Jan 29, 2012 | Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop Desktop Computer...
Nov 24, 2011 | Mitsubishi WD-60737 TV
Mar 01, 2011 | Sony (XL-2400) Projector Lamp for...
Mar 28, 2009 | Dell Optiplex 740 Desktop Desktop Computer...
3,782 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: