5 days ago I was using the vacuum, and after 10 mins. or so, I smelled a slight electrical burning smell and i immediately turned it off. i tried again yesterday to use it, and almost immediately after turning it on I heard a pop, saw what looked like blue flames somewhere inside, and again it smelled like it was burning. Of course I immediately turned it off and haven't touched it since. Seems to me the engine is a goner, but I believe it has a lifetime guarantee. So where do I get a new engine? I live in the Dayton, Oh area so if you know of anyone that services Tristars in this area I'd be most appreciative. Thanks!
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 200 answers of more than 400 characters.
Re: Possible engine blow-up in Tristar vacuum
Http://geeksquad.fixya.com/ThreadView.aspx?prdid=0&thid=628433 Generic problem for all Vacuums Possible engine blow-up in Tristar vacuum Posted by skutch on May 28, 2008 5 days ago I was using the vacuum, and after 10 mins or so, I smelled a slight electrical burning smell and i immediately turned it off. i tried again yesterday to use it, and almost immediately after turning it on I heard a pop, saw what looked like blue flames somewhere inside, and again it smelled like it was burning. Of course I immediately turned it off and haven't touched it since. Seems to me the engine is a goner, but I believe it has a lifetime guarantee. So where do I get a new engine? I live in the Dayton, Oh area so if you know of anyone that services Tristars in this area I'd be most appreciative. Thanks! Hello, I would advise you to ALWAYS to FIRST UNPLUG YOUR VACUUM before beginning any service procedure. If you are getting an electrical burning smell it is your vacuum motor and you need to replace it. I am not sure if you have a lifetime warranty or not – most warranties are for 1, 2 or 3 years on electrical parts but I can try to give you a website or phone number to TriStar to see if they can help you on this matter. Question? How old is the vacuum and what is the dop? Listed below are some of the phone #’s that might be able to help you. So if you need further assistance, please feel free to contact your local vacuum cleaner dealer in your area or in the yellow pages, or contact the factory phone number or website to further assist you with your questions. http://www.a-1vacuum.com/1-800-657-1874Customer Service http://www.vacuumcleanershop.com/tristar-motors.htm1-877-822-8227 9am to 5pm EST Thanks, Don the Vac Man Go Ahead. Use Us.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You most certainly shorted this out and will need a new cord. Easy fix but you will have to take it apart and find where it failed. I doubt the motor fried but it is possible. When you take it apart look for the burn mark left by the electrical arc. That is the point you fix.
Anytime that you smell that electrical burning smell on a vacuum cleaner, this is the motor going bad. There are two distinctive burning smells in fixing vacuum cleaners, the electrical burning smell which is the motor, and a rubber burning smell which is the belt.
The bagless vacuums cleaners in general, their motors last usually no more then 3-5 years. The motor in bagless vacuums work much harder then the motors in their bagged counterparts.
The motors in Eureka vacuums can range in price from $70-$120. If you can provide me with the exact model number on your vacuum cleaner (can be found on the bottom or the back of the machine on the sticker that also contains the serial number) I will be able to get you the part number, and price of the motor that's used in your vacuum.
It may be worth considering to just get a new vacuum cleaner at this point. If you'd like me to give you a personalized recommendation specifically for your unique cleaning needs, I'd be honored to do so. Please just let me know what types of floors you have mostly in the home and I'll be happy to share my knowledge of vacuum cleaners.
I hope this was helpful to you. If you found this helpful, please be sure to rate the repair helpful so other Fixya users that have this same problem can easily find the answer.
Hi! Highly unlikely that you need a new motor. Highly likely that you need new carbon brushes. The smell is caused by excessive sparking between the worn brushes and the copper commutator segments. Most carbon brushes (and from memory I suspect this includes Henry's) have a copper wire buried in their last few millimeters, and you really need to change them before that becomes exposed. The longer you run it like this, the more likely you are to damage the commutator, so change them sooner rather than later. When you change the brushes, you can smooth off the commutator with very fine abrasive paper (the objective is to smooth it, not scratch it!), and then blow all the dust away (or **** it away if you have another vac, of course).
Incidentally, you don't say if you are using a paper bag in your Henry. Some people, because the top-hat filter is so good, try to manage without a bag. This is false economy! You should always use a bag.
I hope this helps! I value feedback, so please remember to rate this response.
This could be a motor problem. There is always a slight blue arcing that occurs when an electrical motor runs and can be visible through the exhaust vent, but any excessive arcing indicates a problem. If the carbon brushes are sticking, this will cause excessive arcing and can be corrected by an experience service person, but if there is any electrical failure, the motor would have to be replaced. There are no parts available for these motors and the expense of replacing an armature (the likely culprit) would be more than the motor. This could also be as simple as a worn belt, but usually, belts will not produce the smell your describing. When a motor is burning out, it will produce an acrid odor that will linger for a long time.