Question about KitchenAid KSCS25FKSS Side by Side Refrigerator
Take off the back panel in the freezer. 1/4" screws. Use a nut driver or ratchet and socket with an extension.
2. Behind the frost is the evaporator and the defrost heaters. One heater in the middle and one at the bottom. They are glass tubes. If you can see the bottom heater that is great. If not use a hair dryer and defrost only the very bottom to expose the lower heater only.
3. Now in the refrigerator section at the top where the controls are, take off the long plastic piece to expose the timer. The timer should be on the right hand side and have a little circle that is slotted. Get a flat screwdriver and turn that timer slowly clockwise just until it clicks and the refrigerator turns off. This will put it into defrost.
4. Now look at that heater that you exposed and see if it glows and gets hot. If it does, then the timer is bad.
5. If the heater doesn't come on then go ahead and defrost the rest of the evaporator with the hair dryer. This will take a little while. Don't poke at the evaporator!!!
6. Once totally defrosted look at both heaters. They should look like clear glass and see a silver coil running thru them. If they look discolored at all then the heaters are bad. The heaters come as a complete assembly with the defrost thermostat which clips onto the evaporator.
7. If the heaters look ok the only way to know for sure if they are bad is to check continuity with a meter on the plug at the end of their wiring harness. If you can check that then you can splice in a new defrost thermostat to solve the problem. However the best thing to do is replace the heaters and defrost thermostat . It is easy to install.
Follow these steps and this will solve your problem.
Hope this help in solving the problem,
Posted on Oct 04, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 17, 2017 | Refrigerators
Feb 09, 2016 | Avanti FF1008W (97 cu ft) Top Freezer...
Jan 04, 2016 | LG LFC20770ST
Jan 03, 2016 | Whirlpool W8RXNGMBD Universal Silver 17.6...
Feb 05, 2015 | Refrigerators
Nov 01, 2010 | Roper RT21AKXKQ Top Freezer Refrigerator
Jul 03, 2009 | Kenmore 73502 / 73504 / 73509 Bottom...
Apr 24, 2009 | Refrigerators
Dec 22, 2008 | Frigidaire FRT18FS6C Top Freezer...
Oct 08, 2008 | Whirlpool Refrigerators
43 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: