My dryer stops working, it seems, when it gets overheated. It is about ten years old. I am not a mechanically blessed guy but I want to try to fix it myself. Any thoughts? Could it be the thermal fuse? Where can I get a manual for this dryer?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Dryer cutting off
You may have a lint build up coating the windings of the motor. Not knowing what brand of dryer you have, all I can tell you is that you can attempt cleaning the motor to see if it helps.
Please disconnect the dryer from its ower source before servicing unit.
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The answer may be easy, but the implementation?
About 20 years ago, two things happened to dryers.
One, "robots" began making them, and
Two, they became much more subject to overheating, as the automation caused more problems with lint build-up and subsequent overheating.
To combat the overheating danger of fire, more thermostats and even a fuse or two were then added.
I suggest you completely dis-assemble the dryer and you should find lint build-up inside the ductwork that is inside the machine that is blowing out the thermostat or a fuse.
A good cleaning should fix it for a year or two, depending on how often you use the machine.
God bless your efforts.
Inside the back and the bottom of your dryer are several ( From 2 to 6 ) "overheat thermostat switches". One of these is doing it's job really well. These are designed to prevent your dryer from overheating and catching fire. I suspect one of them is failing, and needs replacement. Someone handy with electrical testing tools and mechanic's tools need to take it apart and check these to find the "bad" one. While they have it all apart, it should need a really good cleaning inside. Be blessed.
Sounds like it is overheating. Clean your dryer vents and remember it is attached to GAS lines so don't pull on the cabinet. You can usually pop some hidden clips on the Dryer panels to remove them and access the inner workings of the machine.
Servall is a company which carries the dryer parts and may be helpful to you. They have a Website and sometimes have Diagrams you can use. You can also try the Kenmore Website for the photos.
If the dryer vents are clean, it sounds like a thermal switch is overheating and shutting the unit down.
There is normally a switch inside the motor that detects in turning at speed. That keeps the dryer running until it is either stopped, the door is opened, or the cycle is through. I am guessing that the contacts are getting bad on this switch.
Problem is the motor is going bad. Sometimes the motor can almost cost as much as a new dryer. An excellent little dryer that will last and work ghood for you is Roper, made by whirlpool. Any Lowes store has these. Hope this helps.
Probably just a broken belt. Unplug the dryer and open it up (PIX BELOW) clean out the dryer and inspect the wheels idler and blower cage.The belt is probably gone after 10 years. Here are some repair pix
i have fixed thousands of dryers over the years and the element shorting to ground is a rare ocurance.if you are loosing elements this fast it is due too your ducting as i think you know.and your replacement of the flex with hard ducting will surly aid in that cause.too answer your question,sure the thermo's will have been weakened but i have seen the same thermo's on 15,20 year old dryers ,so they can take some punishment.i owned an appliance repair buissness for ten years and after market wholesale thermo's were about 3$ each so if could find at that kind of price ,ok.other wise may be looking at 30 to 40$ and i dont see it making your dryer much safer then is with out new. God bless,hope that helps,tom