Bought some new speakers and connected them to my amp. When i turned up the volume slightly, the amp shut down the speakers and a protecton display came up.
Are my speakers overloading the amp, they are Klipsch Synergy f2s.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
It is possible that the amplifier had encountered a fault with a higher current drain which had triggered it to a protection fault condition.This can be due to the fact that the amp does no get sufficient power and so the output is starved to shut down. So please check the mains voltage or use a stabiliser. Also a faulty speaker can make the amp to shut as the outputs drain too much currrent.
Even a fault in the preamp stages that drives in high current into the output can shut the Amplifier. Sometimes this can be a noise like a HUM or HISS before the protect works. Faulty capacitors in these circuits also can cause similar issuesand needs close observation. You need to confirm and replace the specific stages or outputs. If not there can be issues in the mother board, maybe the protect circuit by itself is shutting off due to a faulty bias , maybe a leak in any voltage/current sensing circuit. Also disconnect the speakers and test for short on the speakers.
Generally speaking, an amp attempts to protect itself from heat, shorts, overloads and operator exuberance by refusing to turn on or stay on.
Overloads can be from excessive periods of high output or marginally low impedance loading by the speakers; and shorts would be wiring issues or a speaker blowing up.
You should be able to feel if it's hot. WHY is it overheating? Make sure it has sufficient ventilation on all sides and that vent holes are not blocked by dust balls. Ensure the fan (if equipped) is running as designed (some only operate on demand). Clean dust and debris from it.
If the amp comes back on after cooling, you're lucky. They only have so many self-protection cycles in their lives so continuously resetting or cycling their power without addressing the cause can do more harm than good.
If it protects immediately on a cool power up you should disconnect the speaker connections and try it 'naked'. If it comes up then diagnose which lead(s) are shorted. If it does not come up the problem is internal and should be left to an experienced and competent hands-on tech.
Hi Kevin, This may not be a solution but you`ve most likely burnt out the amplifiers, I have the same model and its just burnt out the amplifiers for the second time. I was`nt cranking the volume and it was running my Bose AM 5`s which are very good speakers.Its expensive to repair and not many tech heads will take on anything "Sony". If you do have any luck fixing it please get in touch. *email@example.com* Regards, Neil.
From the manual:
"No sound or only a very low level sound is heard from the rear speakers.
>>> Make sure the sound field function is on (press SOUND FIELD - MODE).
>>> Select a sound field containing the word "cinema" or "virtual" (see page 33-35).
>>> Adjust the speaker volume (see page 72).
>>> Make sure the rear speaker size parameter is set to either SMALL or LARGE (see page 20)."
Be advised that using any Tape Monitor loop (that's what the MD/DAT is) disables any digital sources. Not that that would explain the rear speaker failure. Analog sources can still be processed into various surround modes.
Any Tape Monitor use requires at least a live INPUT to hear anything.
protection is designed to protect the output transistors from, shorted speaker wires, shorted speakers, too low speaker impediance,make sure the amp is well ventilated.
turn the amp off for 1 to 2 hours to allow thermal reset if this fails most likley some internal damage has occured and the unit will need to be serviced
Sounds like faulty psu (pwer suply unit) Amp is going into protection mode. Disconnected all speaker and av wires (only power) turn up volume and see if it stays on. If not psu, sounboard or volume function faulty. If on, connect one speaker L or R. Go to tuner mode to tuned radio station an listen for sounds. If on, connect speakers and av cables one by one and test each one on its own until amp switches off, Investigate from there were problem is. Make sure speakerwires is not shorting out.
I have the same unit. My best recommendation would be to remove all speaker wiring, and try new wiring with another pr of speakers,since the "outdoor " speakers were rained on. the protect mode that the unit went into sounds like it did because the speaker outputs were shorted due to the rain, so ensure that the speaker output terminals are not shorted and dry...also see if output is still availalable at the headphone jack...if it is, the pre-amp section is still good , in which case the protect mode and no volume output out of the speaker jacks may mean that youve blown the ouput trasnsistor finals. I hope this helps.
Most likely a cold solder joint somewhere in the audio circuit. Most likely on the legs of the relay that turns the speakers on or off. Also check the connections at the audio outputs. Give it a good look over for bad solder connections, given the symptoms that's 98% likely to be the problem.
I lean toward an overhating condition since the unit does not go into protection mode right away, and then returns.
My thoughts are as follows...
1) The receiver needs better ventilation
2) The speakers are below the rated minimum nominal impedance, causing the amplifier to strain and overheat
3) There is a problem within the amplifier that is causing this problem - this is not user repairable.
I'd try another pair of speakers which are rated at 8 ohm nominal impedance and give it a trial. At the same time, monitor the heat output from the unit (note that modern amplifier sections do run hot). If the unit runs extremely hot at a low volume and still shuts down on 8 ohm speakers, it's time for service or replacement depending on value.