Question about Brother MFC-3240C All-In-One InkJet Printer
I have this printer for almost 3 years now. I installed a new black cartridge and was able to print a test page fine. But after that when i try to print another document, it says unable to clean. I have tried resetting it and removing it from the power source. I have tried also removing the cartridges and installing them again but still it says the same thing. Now i cannot print anymore even a test page. Help!
Machine Error 46, Purged Ink Box Full
The machine counts all purge (cleaning) operations in order to prevent the internal ink absorber box from overflowing with purged ink. An initial purge, for example, advances the purge counter by 187 420 = 607. When the purge counter approaches 6400, an internal "Machine Error 46" is generated. Further purge operations are prohibited, and therefore the printer becomes unusable.
When an internal Machine Error 46 is generated, the user will see an "Unable to Clean" external message and will be unable to use the printer. The "Unable to Clean" external message can relate to many different internal error codes however.
The user can establish the internal Machine Error Code as follows: unplug the unit, hold down the Menu/Set key, re-insert the power plug while holding down the Menu/Set key. The internal Machine Error Code will be displayed. Unplug and re-plug the unit again before continuing to the steps below.
If there is a Machine Error 46, it is necessary to dismantle the printer, replace the ink absorber box (or possibly break the ink absorber box open and clean its absorbent sponges under a tap), re-assemble the printer and reset the purge counter to zero.
Resetting purge counter:
1) Enter machine maintenance mode (on MFC210C all four photo/copy/fax/scan lights flash in maintenance mode). Care is needed in maintenance mode, otherwise critical settings may be inadvertently corrupted.
FAX models with numerical keypads: Press the Menu/Set, *, 2, 8, 6 and 4 keys within two seconds. (if you fail to complete the correct key sequence within two seconds, press the Stop key to try again).
Other (non-FAX) models: Press the Menu/Set and Black Start keys. Next press the up arrow key four times to enter the maintenance mode).
2) Press the 8 then 0 keys in the initial stage of the maintenance mode to call up the machine's log information list (function code 80).
3) Press the Black Start key several times to scroll through the log information list to reach the purge counter. The purge counter is the 25th item in the list.
4) Press the 2, 7, 8, and 3 keys in this order to reset the purge count to zero.
5) Press the Stop/Exit key to return to the initial stage of the maintenance mode.
6) Press the 9 key twice to return to the standby state.
Posted on Sep 04, 2010
1. check the cartridge number as match that printer.
Posted on May 28, 2008
My printer 3240c show unable to clean. pls adivse. thks
Posted on Nov 21, 2008
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 17, 2010 | Brother MFC 240C All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jan 11, 2010 | Brother MFC-3240C All-In-One InkJet...
Dec 20, 2009 | Brother MFC 420CN All-In-One InkJet...
Nov 25, 2009 | Brother MFC-3240C All-In-One InkJet...
Nov 20, 2009 | Brother MFC 240C All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jul 01, 2009 | Brother MFC-3240C All-In-One InkJet...
Apr 23, 2009 | Brother Office Equipment & Supplies
Mar 21, 2009 | Brother MFC-3240C All-In-One InkJet...
3,112 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!