Follow service manual procedures given by the manufacturer for the generator you are working on for disassembling, inspecting, testing, and rebuilding AC generators. Remember, improper connections to an AC generator can destroy it.
AC generator removal varies according to the engine size, engine placement, and vehicle accessories (such as power steering and air conditioning). The following is the typical procedure for removal and replacement of the AC generator.
- Place fender covers over the fenders
- Disconnect the battery ground cable
Never attempt to remove the alternator or disconnect any wires to the alternator without first disconnecting the battery negative cable.It's a good practice to wrap the cable with tape or insert the cable inside a rubber hose to prevent accidental contact with the battery terminal.Always wear safety glasses when working around the battery.
- Disconnect and label the wiring harness connections to the alternator (Painters Masking tape works very well for labeling Automotive wiring).
- Loosen the alternator pivot bolt.
- Remove the bolt that attaches the alternator to the adjustment arm.
- Rotate the alternator to loosen the drive belt and disengage the belt from the pulley. Be careful that any spacers that are used in mounting are kept with their original bolts. This will make correct reinstallation much easier.
- While supporting the alternator remove the pivot bolt.
- Remove the alternator from the vehicle.
To reinstall the alternator, reverse the removal procedure.
To adjust the belt tension, leave the pivot and adjusting arms loose. Look up the belt tension specification for the vehicle you are working on. Using a belt tension gauge on the belt apply pressure to the alternator until the correct belt tension registers on the gauge and tighten the mounting and adjustment bolts to the specified torque specification.
Over tightening of the alternator drive belt will cause the unit to whine and premature failure of the alternator drive end bearing, the water pump or the engine crankshaft