Question about GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

We just bought the microwave 2 days ago. Was cooking bacon & when I went to put more in it won't come on. The light is out & nothing will work. Checked the house fuse & unplugged the microwave for 10 min. plugged it back in & NOTHING!

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 9,086 Answers

I would guess that the magnetron overheated since bacon is a low-moisture food.

(Does your manual suggest putting a half-cup of water in the unit when cooking bacon or popcorn?)

If it didn't come back on (even after resetting the unit by unplugging it for a few minutes then trying again) then I would say the magnetron thermal cutout blew.

But since it's under warranty, GE will fix it for you free.

GE Customer Service is at http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/contact/

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on May 30, 2008

  • Anna Meyer
    Anna Meyer Jan 02, 2014

    Can I buy and install a magnetron thermal cutout?

×

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

Why does my. MAgic Che f microwave smoke inside when I cook bacon?


Although bacon can be cooked in a microwave, cooking any low water content food is ******* an oven, and can shorten the lifespan of the magnetron.

The smoke you're seeing is probably from the grease in the bacon. However, there's a slight chance it's from the power transformer as these sometimes fail slowly. You should be able to tell from the type of odor.

Aug 11, 2017 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I was cooking bacon. The microwave sounded to let me know that it was done. When I went in to the kitchen there are no lights on the inside, the clock is dead and none of the buttons work.


The line fuse is probally blown. Remove screws that hold the cabinet, and replace the fuse with the same type and rating. That should get you going again.

Mar 21, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a oster microwave and cannot find how long to cook certain things like bacon.


Thick or medium rashers of bacon in a 750 Watt microowave take about a minute per rasher. If you put the bacon on a glass tray and cover with paper kitchen roll, (NOT RECYCLED AS THAT MAY CONTAIN METALIC TRACES), it stips the spitting and keeps the microwave nice and clean.
Hope that helps.

Nov 14, 2010 | Sunbeam Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Model 63259 bought about 2 months ago. I went to


you can check and see if there is a fuse on the microwave, if not it may have just burned out, its probably still under warranty so try to take it back for a replacement

Jan 14, 2010 | Kenmore 63252 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The microwave was working great cooking bacon. While it was cooking the sound changed and it stopped cooking. The light was still on and it continued to rotate but it would not cook anymore. What's wrong?


first check the h.v. diode and the h.v. capacitor,one has opened up and is not producing h.v. to operate the magnetron tube,the cap is about 4" long and oval in shape with 2 wires coming out the one end,the diode is about 1-2" long black and can be square or round and are near the magnetron tube area of the oven,chk these first they're the cheapest to replace

Nov 19, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

It don't heat anything any more. power is on turns counts food doesn't even get warm. i bought this unit from wal-mart in Joplin Missouri. 4/18/08 Wal-mart will not help me because it out of there 90 day...


one would surely assume that a product would last more than 5 months. of course you know not to put metal in a microwave, so the real question is, have you ever cooked bacon in it? I can assure you that this is a very bad idea, as the grease gets sucked up into the fan and distributed all over the sensitive circuitry inside the unit. mine actually caught on fire while cooking bacon, so now we are back to the skillet. in conclusion, the micron is probaly fried in it and it is not worth fixing. chunk it and get a new one.

Sep 11, 2008 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave oven blows breaker after 2-3 secs


make sure that your microwave is on its own circut breaker meaning nothing shares the plug

Mar 25, 2008 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE xl1800 spacesaver microwave


It sounds like you could have one or two problems. Using the oven with metal in it could cause the magnatron to go bad at its tip causing it to arc and making a popping sound. It could be that there is bare metal exposed somewhere causing the popping sound. Take it in for service!!

Feb 23, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?

Open Questions:

0 Answers

GE Microwave JVM1441BH04: Safe to reconnect replacement stirrer & turntable motors after accidentally burning out the turntable motor? GE JVM1441BH04 Over Stove Microwave: Tapping noise was coming from the 21v AC stirrer motor which sits atop the cooking chamber. I disconnected the two connecting leads, unfastened the single screw holding it on, placed in on my scanner glass to get a high rez photo of all the specifics listed on the motor label. Bad news: While waiting for the scan to finish, I warmed my coffee in the microwave on the highest heat for 30 seconds. I subsequently discovered the 21v AC turntable motor, which had been working just fine, was now no longer working, with infinite resistance across its terminals, and a burnt electrical smell. Both the stirrer and turntable motors are powered by a 24v tap off the magnetron fan. My theory: By running the microwave with the stirrer motor out of the circuit, I delivered excessive voltage to the turntable motor, which quickly fried. The 24v tap off the magnetron fan motor currently shows the correct 24v output. However, with both the stirrer motor and turntable motor disconnected, running the microwave for a few seconds shows approx 95v across the wire leads for both of the 21v motors. I have obtained replacement motors for both the noisy stirrer motor and the fried turntable motor. My question: Can I simply reconnect both motors in their proper locations, vow never again to run one without the other connected, and all will be well? Or will the newly installed motors simply be fried in a matter of seconds?

Jan 04, 2018 | GE Microwave Ovens

Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

204 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9086 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1179 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...