I have a 6 yr old maytag neptune dryer, it doesn't put out heat. I checked the voltage, 240 all the way. I found a broken ground wire at the heating coil, fixed that. Still no heat. What els can be wrong?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: maytag neptune breakdown
Warning! Shock Hazard! Disconnect dryer from power source before servicing.
I assume you repaired a wire that attaches to a white ceramic insulator terminal? If you have a volt-ohm meter, you can check continuity of the element and hi-limit thermostat and overtemp.fuse located on the element shroud. If you ddon't have access to a meter then visually inspect the element for a break in the coil. The fuse and hi-limit can be temporarily bypassed 1 at a time to eliminate 1 or the other being faulty. Also double check your heat temperature settings on the control panel to make sure it did not become de-selected. There are also temperature control thermostats attached to the blower housing in lower left corner of the dryer that can be temporarily bypassed to test for failure. Tip: Clean lint filter after each load. Clean vent to outside,(check every 3-6 months), and refrain from overloading dryer. This will help extend the life span of the element and the dryer itself.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Firstly, you have not mentioned that you have verified the presence of a power source of 240 volts, so make certain of that issue. If you have proper voltage, then the motor centrifugal switch could be at fault
Below is a link for trouble shooting your model.
My 2 yr old Maytag dryer took forever to heat up. called the repairman and I
found out that when the company I bought the dryer from installed it
they kinked the duct hose. Solenoid was replaced but burnt out since the duct when obtructed. You might want to pull the dryer out and check the hose.
Normally the 240 volts rating is nominal and the device will run at 230 volts. The question is will the dryer run at 50 HZ? Check on the electrical rating tag on the machine. It may work. The motor may just spin at 50/60, 5/6 of the 60 HZ speed.
You should get a diagram of your dryer *(look on the exterior back panel and under the top lid to see if they put a sticker diagram there.
Your heating element can be shorted open so no heat can be made.
You can easily check the element with continuity meter to see if it's broken. Then, check the part number from the Maytag website and price up a replacement. I would also check Ebay if the unti is older and you want to save some money on the part.
Good luck and be careful...always do your continuity checks with unit unplugged.
Should have 240 volts at element. If it has continuity, you will read the same voltage on either side. Check across the element for 240. If you only have 120 check for 240 across the two outside terminals where the cord hooks up. More than likely either a half tripped breaker or defective breaker.
Have someone check to be sure you have 240 volts to the plug. The dryer will run on 120 volts but must have 240 volts to the heating unit. If you 240 volts you probably need a heating element or control.
All you need to do is check the element for continuity with an ohm meter, if it has continuity the element is good. The dryer also will run on 110 volts of power but it needs 220 volts too run the element, so check and make sure all the conections on your cord are secure and that you have 220 at your wall outlet.
The timer won't advance unless te clothes are drying with heat.(No heat, no movement).
Check your fuse or breaker box to see if you have a tripped 30 amp breaker,(Flip breaker OFF then back ON), or blown 30 amp fuse.(Replace both 30 amp fuses to eliminate the possibility of being wrong).
If these check ok,(be certain), then you have a breakdown on the heat side of the 240 volt circuit, at which point, I would recommend calling a technician.