Question about RCA RP-9316 Boombox
Like other problems relating to this boombox, mine doesn't seem to be able to play CDs (It doesn't recognize them). When I listened to the lens, it did make a ticking sound, which you said was good. You then suggested that the lens should be cleaned. After trying and trying, I'm still not able to get into the stereo system. I've tried unscrewing all of the screws to get in, but I'm still not able to. Do you know how I could get in the stereo without breaking anything?
Also, could I just use a CD cleaner instead of manually going into the boombox to clean the lens?
I had the same issue. Over time, the cd player quit palying at all. The unit would try to read the cd but couldn't and then skip to the next cd.
- I took fairlane's advice and put a cd in and listened for the ticking sound to indicate that the laser was trying to read the cd. I also looked inside through the top "vent" area to be sure the cd was actually spinning. It was spinning and I heard what I thought I was "ticking" sound so I guessed that the laser needed to be cleaned.
- I took off the 6 side panel screws on the right side of the entire unit and loosened the screw on the backside off the unit about halfway down from the top that also held the side panel on.
- I then removed the side panel.
- I then removed the 2 screws on the top side of the other side panel and the screw in the top center back of the top panel and was able to remove the top cover that is over the unit. The top cover is "pressure fitted" in so be careful as you try to remove it, using a little wiggle at a time, but it does comes off.
- Once you have the top off, there is a screw in the center of the plate that holds the tray for the cd's. Remove the screw and you will able to lift and spin the tray to have clear access to the laser
that needs to be cleaned. (Note the position of the numbers on the tray so you put it back the right way.)
- The laser is a little "glassy" looking thing about the size of the head of the q-tip.
- I used the q-tip with 70% isopropol alcohol and rubbed it over and around the laser as best I could. I repeated the procedure 2-3 times and the used compressed air to dry it off.
- I put everything back in place in the reverse order I took it off, based on what's in the above steps.
- Remember, the top will fit in with pressure so don't get anxious as you try to get it in the right position.
The cd's actually play again.
I hope this will help someone.
Posted on Jan 03, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
May 14, 2015 | JVC Boomboxes
Sep 16, 2014 | RCA RP-9316 Boombox
Jun 25, 2013 | RCA RP-9316 Boombox
Jul 05, 2011 | Durabrand CD Player with Cassette...
Jan 10, 2011 | RCA RP-9316 Boombox
Dec 16, 2010 | Insignia Boomboxes
Nov 25, 2008 | RCA RP-9316 Boombox
494 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: