Question about Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Welcome to FixYa.
Based on your description..."fills with water while the door is open (or closed) and the machine is not on" You likely have a faulty inlet water valve.
Here`s an easy way to check...
1) First drain the standing water which presently exists, if any.
2) Unplug the washer from the wall/power outlet and allow a period of time to pass, 12 hrs or so. If the unit has standing water in it after wards you need a valve.
If it doesn't have water in it after-wards then the valve is being energized when it is plugged in even when it should not...that indicates a faulty control unfortunately, but not very likely.
The valve # is 8182862 and varies in pricing around $40 - $75.
It should be available at most brick and mortar appliance part locations or if you prefer on-line shopping try "searspartsdirect.com" "repairclinic.com" or "appliancepartspros.com" to name a few.
To swap out the valve simply follow these steps...
**Unplug the unit from the wall before attempting any repairs suggested here...safety first**
1) turn off the water and unfasten the hot & cold fill hoses going to the washer.
2) remove the three screws along the back of the top panel and then slide the top panel back slightly and pull up. The panel should lift away.
3) in the left rear corner ( when observing from the front of the washer )you should now see the valve.
4) remove the wires, carefully the harness has little release tabs which must be bent back slightly to pull the wire & harness off.
5) remove the hose to the dispenser assembly, a pair of pliers or vise-grips works well here.
6) remove the screw on the outside back wall of the washer and pull the valve out, voila !
Reverse order to put the new one in and good job. You potentially saved yourself $200 or more for parts and labour.
Hope this answers your question but more importantly solves your problem.
Thanks for choosing FixYa for your repair solutions today. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Please take a moment and rate the solution provided for you as well as a testimony if you feel it warranted.
Posted on Sep 29, 2010
Testimonial: "Thank you kindly, Macmarkus. Pictures and everything!!! We'll follow your suggested procedure."
Bad water valve
Posted on Sep 29, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 09, 2016 | Washing Machines
Jan 27, 2016 | Washing Machines
Dec 06, 2015 | Kenmore HE2 Plus Front Load Washer
Aug 03, 2014 | Kenmore HE3 Steam 7.2 cu. ft. Super...
Mar 15, 2011 | Washing Machines
LF means Long Fill, this error flashes when the water level does not change for a period of time after the valves are turned on OR water has disengaged the basket but control does not detect a water level change. Check whether water supply is connected and turned on. Make sure the hose is not blocked and hose screen is clear. If so make sure pressure hose connection to machine/motor control is fine. Also check the continuity of water inlet valve, use a multimeter to check the continuity. Hope this helps... Please post back if you need more information.
Feb 16, 2011 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Mar 13, 2009 | Washing Machines
Jul 30, 2008 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Nov 15, 2007 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Nov 19, 2015 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
1,177 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: