Question about Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
The PS3 YLoD can be caused by a number of things. Most commonly, it's a result of a hardware failure, overheating, dust build-up inside the system, and occasionally just due to loose cables.
Let's start with the easy stuff first to narrow down the cause. Follow the steps below:
1. Assuming you were playing your PS3 when the YLoD happened, move your PS3 into an open area with a lot of ventilation and let it cool down for 20-30 minutes. Once it's cool, try to turn it back on and see if that helped. If not, go to Step 2.
2. Unplug all of your cables from the PS3 including the A/V and the power cord. Also unplug the power cable from the wall. Now try to plug them all back in and make sure they are all secure. Turn the PS3 back on and check if it's working. If not, go to step 3.
How to Fix PS3 Yellow Light on Your Own
3. Get a vacuum with a hose attachment and vacuum out the vents on the system. Sometimes dust build-up alone can cause your PS3 to stop working properly. You might also want to take one of those cans of air and blow it in there to get some of the stubborn pieces of dust out.
If none of those solutions worked, the problem lies within the PS3 and you will probably need to take it apart to fix it. The most likely scenario is that your heat-shield overheated, the chipsets got shifted due to heat, and your solder could be cracked.
the causes of the yellow light of death
Here are some of the top causes of the PS3 Yellow Light of Death:
* Overheating - The unit gets too hot. Sometimes caused by too much dust buildup in the vents.
* Blu-Ray drive failure.
* Bad power supply.
* Hard-drive critical errors.
* Hardware malfunction on the motherboard - The solder starts to crack due to excessive heating and cooling.
if you have warranty then take it back if you dont then you can either try the repair yourself how ever this is not very easy to do and can cause more harm than good you will need special tools to take it apart and its not easy you also need an understanding of heat seal paste and heat sinks due to this being the part you need to remove and put back
i do the repair for about 25pound plus parts so if you are paying someone to do it then your looking at least that price, i only charge if the problem is fixed so try and get the best price you can.
let me know if you need further assistance ok
plz rate this solution as i have a whole page of unrated posts, thanks
Posted on Sep 29, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 27, 2015 | 2006 Suzuki Stratosphere
Jan 16, 2014 | Dell Precision Workstation 670 PC Desktop
Apr 13, 2010 | Car Audio & Video
Feb 12, 2010 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Dec 10, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jul 12, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jan 09, 2009 | Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
Jan 13, 2008 | Car Audio & Video
49 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!