This is a really annoying bug that’s present even in the current version
(2.10 as of this post) of the Playstation 3 system software. When I got
my PS3 earlier this month, it was using the oldest version, 1.10, but I
couldn’t update it because the DNS error was preventing me from getting
After searching online for that error number, I came across a few
sites that said the PS3’s DNS server needs to match that of your
router. I made the appropriate changes to the PS3 and off I went. There
was still a problem, though: it wouldn’t login to the Playstation
Network, even though it passed the DNS test. Augh.
Some of the more silly answers I found included resetting your
modem, calling your provider, telling the PS3 to automatically find all
settings, and turning off your firewall. None of these make any
The only option I had left was to download the update to a USB flash
drive. This is a poor solution because not everyone HAS a flash drive.
(You could probably do this using the 80 gig model’s card reader,
though I wouldn’t know about that.) Anyway, here is a simplified
version of the directions
1. Make a new directory in the flash drive named PS3
, then one named UPDATE
(both must be in all caps).
2. Save PS3UPDAT.PUP
3. Plug the flash drive into the console, then from the XMB: Settings -> System Update -> Update via Storage Media
After this is done, you can delete the stuff you created on the flash drive.
Now, you’re using the most recent software and it still keeps giving
you DNS errors? The only solution I’ve found so far is to keep trying
to login until it works. That may sound like a shitty answer, but it’s
the only one I’ve found that works with any certainty. After searching
for a good amount of time and trying every suggestion, brute force is
the most dependable answer I found.
Update: I’ve been using OpenDNS (220.127.116.11 &
18.104.22.168) for a couple of weeks now with little luck, but some
people say it helps.
Update 2: I solved the mystery: spanning tree. Spanning Tree
Protocol is a protocol for preventing loops in a network of switches. I
had to turn on spanning-tree portfast on the port my PS3 is plugged
into. Chances are this solution is completely unhelpful for most
people, but I’m putting it up here anyway, just in case.