Replacing smooth top
Have you purchased a new top yet? If you haven't, you can find it at repairclinic.com for about $270.00 (item #703866). Just type in your model number in the search index and you will find a pictorial part index for your range. The part isn't cheap, but it would potentially cost you twice as much to have a repair service replace it for you. If you still wish to pursue this repair, follow these simple instructions:
1. First of all, UNPLUG the range before servicing. There are dangerous voltages still present even with burners turned off.
2. Secondly, is the glass top still intact? I know it is broken, but is the glass completely busted apart, or is the top just cracked? If it busted, you will need to get rid of a much of the glass shards as you can and thoroughly vacuum the area around the oven box. Use extreme care when handling broken glass. Wear safety glasses and gloves.
3. There are a few screws located under the front edge of the cooktop. You will need to open the oven door to see them. Remove these screws and the top should lift up. If the range is not equipped with any kind of hinge supports, the top will have to be propped up.
4. On some ranges, there is a disconnect plug for the surface element wiring harness. If you have this feature, unplug the cooktop and leave the elements in place. Place the whole assembly face down on a soft surface (like some old towels, or a blanket) and remove the surface element assembly leaving all the elements wired together. Place the new cooktop face down in the same manner and lay the surface element with wiring harness directly on to it and screw in place. Install the new cooktop back on the range and you are DONE.
5. If the wiring harness does NOT unplug, there are a series of screws holding the element assemblies in place. Leave these assemblies wired together for ease of replacing. It is recommended that a second person holds the assemblies in place to support the wires until all the screws have been removed.
5. Lay the intact element assembly, with wires still connected, on top of the oven box handling the elements with care. they are very fragile. Care also must be taken not to handle the element coils or ceramic material. Try to handle from the underside of the element only. Oil from your hands can cause damage to the element and/or premature failure. If you have to remove the elements, individually, make sure you write down how the wires were connected to ensure you reconnect them in the right order. Make sure you also take note of the numbering scheme on the element and make sure you place the mounting brackets in the same holes that they came out of.
7. Use care when screwing into the new cooktop. CAUTION: The scew holes are usually painted and a little force may be required to thread the screws. Do not apply too much pressure on the glass, or you can damage it. Prop the new cook top in place and install the surface element assembly from underneath. A helpful hint: Use some duct tape to hold the assembly until you have screwed it back into place. Don't forget to remove the duct tape when completed.
Good luck and I hope this helps.
Feb 11, 2008 |
Maytag MER5770 Electric Kitchen Range