Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Profile Something was put in the microwave that had tin foil on it. It caused a 2/12" black burn mark on the back wall of the unit. How do I clean it?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 525 Answers

Some burns are not cleanable. Use of soap and water is the safest way to attempt cleaning it. If it burned the paint, then it will need to be touched up with G.E. oven cavity paint ONLY, which your local dealer or servicer should be able to get for you.
Do not attempt to clean it with any flammable or toxic solvents.

Posted on May 23, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

My ge spacemaker xl1800 light and fan turn on when door is opened. small piece of foil does not spark during this. is there an easy fix?


Kent, most microwaves will turn on the light when you open the door. As for the fan coming on, does it do that all of the time or only after you have used it for a period of time? If it does only after you have used it, you might want to check the back and the underneath of your microwave to see where the fan draws air into the unit and clean any lint built up on the vent holes. Hope this helps!

Feb 09, 2015 | GE JVM3670SK Profile Spacemaker XL1800...

1 Answer

JVM 250vwoo1


Pry off plastic tab. Clean up burn marks with sand paper and touchup paint. Order a new rack clip. Also clean any burn residue off rack.
MOST IMPORTANT: After the repair, do not put the rack back in unless you are cooking on it. Running the microwave with nothing on the rack is what causes this to happen.

Sep 05, 2014 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Why does ge microwave blows fuse when door is opened?


Inspect the door switches and the wiring in the light bulb circuit. If the problem is a door switch, it will probably be visibly broken, or there will be burn marks on it. It's also possible that the door switch bracket is bent or broken and allows the terminals to short to the oven frame. Check the lamp socket - if it is cracked or burned, it should be replaced.

Also look for signs of arcing or burn marks on the controller board, especially near the relays (usually black plastic boxes about 1" x 1' x 3/4' mounted near the wire terminals or wire harness connector).

As a general note, it is rare for a fuse to fail by itself. If you find a blown fuse, look for a cause before replacing it. This may prevent wasting another fuse.

Jul 01, 2014 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a GE Profile JVM2070sk02 Every thing works and lights up but touch pad will not take any input. Fan ,Boost and light work .


HELLO.

The GE problem is with the magnetron being to close to the computer. If your microwave will not take any input, you can follow these simple instructions to fix it.


needed things.

* Phillips screwdriver
* Foil
* Large ziplock baggie
* Tape

1. Unscrew the 2 screws in the top vent grill and remove it.

2. Unscrew the 1 screw above the computer keypad, then slide it up to unlock it and it will hinge down, revealing the computer circuit board behind the keypad.

3. Put a sheet of foil into the large ziplock bag and seal it up.

4. Then tape it to cover the whole circuit board in the back of the computer. You may have to let the wires stick out of the middle of your foil covering. The ziplock is to keep the metal foil from short circuiting anything on the computer, and the foil protects the circuit board from the small amount of leaking microwaves inside.

5. Lock the keypad back up and plugin the microwave to test it before screwing everything back together.

Thanks.

Aug 29, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Does using tin foil in microwave ruin unit or can it be used again safely?


its a bad idear,,,i never put any tin foil in mine, it scaters the microwaves around and sme times causes sparks as well,

Nov 28, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Will tin foil in the microwave ruin it completely? The microwave turned off after my son mircowaved a potato wrapped in tin foil.


You should always put a spoon in a cup of liquid that you heat in a microwave oven.
The microwave with a potato wrapped in tin foil is like operating the oven with nothing in it! If the microwave was spotlessly clean then your in trouble.
1 put a cup of cold water in the microwave and set for 5 minutes. if the water boils then your lucky if it cold then go and buy a new microwave and stop your childs allowance for a fortnight.
One might ask the question how old is your child and should they be using such a machine unsupervised!

Nov 05, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

I accidentally covered a plate with foil in the microwave. there was Arcing (no fire) and now there is black marks etched where the foil touched the sides. The cavity seems unharmed though, it seems if I...


Sometimes the arcing itself will cause black marks inside the oven. The places where the foil was melted, (touching), likely left small metal deposits, possibly now, impregnated in the surface. It is important to remove these if possible to avoid further arcing. Remove these then test to make sure the oven is functioning properly. If so, continue to use.

Jun 22, 2009 | LG LRM1260SW Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Reset clock, ge spacemaker xl1800 times out after 2-3 seconds


There's a simple fix for this. Unplug the unit. Take off the top grill with 2 screws. Remove the 1 screw that holds the touch pad unit. Lift up on touchpad unit and lift out. Put a piece of aluminum foil inside a large zip lock bag and tape it to the back of the touchpad unit and reassemble. GE put the magnetron to close to the control board causing stray microwaves to interfere with the board. The foil shields it.

May 27, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell from Microwave


If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Dec 27, 2007 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

110 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...