Question about GE JVM1490 Convection/Microwave Oven
My microwave/convection oven seemed to blow a fuse just as I pressed the start button. The circuit breaker in the cellar did not trip, so I assume it's an internal fuse. You wrote that this is a sign of a shorted high-voltage capacitor. Is that an expensive problem to have fixed (assuming I don't do it myself)? It's a built in unit, and I assume they'll need to access the back.
On some models, the high voltage capacitor is accessible by just removing the control panel (which is simple) but in other models you have to pull the oven from the wall and take off the outer cover.
If removal from the wall is necessary, I recommend two people for safety. You can find your installation instructions here.
If you or someone you know wants to look into this, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
NOTE: There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting.
A typical home visit runs about $75, and the labor to repair the problem usually runs about that, too. Plus parts.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on May 24, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 10, 2013 | Whirlpool MH1150XM Convection/Microwave...
Jul 27, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
It sounds like the magnetron may have
either failed or is not being supplied with the extremely high
voltage required to run it.
SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT
This is a job for a professional but if
you are safety clued up, here's instruction.
Make sure the !!!!any capacitors are discharged!!!!! before attempting any sort of repair.
Check the door interlock switches first then the high voltage diode with either an AVO model 8 or moving coil meter on high resistance range for short circuit, (DVM's won't show the fault!), the capacitor can fail and go short circuit, the feed fuse on the primary of the high voltage transformer and then finally, the magnetron is best checked by substitution.
Hope that helps.
Mar 10, 2011 | LG LMVM2055 Convection/Microwave Oven
May 21, 2010 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven
Jul 13, 2017 | General Electric Microwave Oven
Jul 30, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Jul 05, 2008 | Neff H7871N2GB Convection / Microwave Oven
Jun 19, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
Nov 19, 2007 | Microwave Ovens
If it blows the fuse as soon as you hit the START button, it's almost certainly a shorted high-voltage capacitor.
If it blows a few seconds after you hit the START button, it's probably the high-voltage transformer. You'll possibly also smell a faint electrical burning smell from the rear vent after you shut if off.
Microwave can be very dangerous so it is best to have it looked by a professional
Would appreciate a solved rating for expert advise.
Oct 16, 2007 | GE JE1590 Convection / Microwave Oven
Feb 17, 2015 | GE JVM1490 Convection/Microwave Oven
87 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!