Question about GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave our exchange student used the microwave with aluminum foil in it, and it looks like it burned the door, and a spot on the back panel. is there some type of repair that can be done on the panel, and can the door be replaced?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 2,712 Answers

The door can be replaced, just call the service center. Not too sure about the spot on the back panel though. However, it may work out cheaper to just buy a new microwave altogether...

Posted on May 21, 2008

  • Swilin Sampson
    Swilin Sampson Jun 01, 2008

    Hello,





    This thread has gone 7 days or more without a response.
    Please close the thread with a “FixYa” or “Helpful” rating.





    Or post back with latest developments, what steps you took,
    etc. and I will assist you further as best I can.





    Thank you.


    IrishDruid




×

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

My ge spacemaker xl1800 light and fan turn on when door is opened. small piece of foil does not spark during this. is there an easy fix?


Kent, most microwaves will turn on the light when you open the door. As for the fan coming on, does it do that all of the time or only after you have used it for a period of time? If it does only after you have used it, you might want to check the back and the underneath of your microwave to see where the fan draws air into the unit and clean any lint built up on the vent holes. Hope this helps!

Feb 09, 2015 | GE JVM3670SK Profile Spacemaker XL1800...

1 Answer

Microwave sparks


Look in side and make sure there is no pieces of aluminum foil or metal hidden inside. If not I would not use until you have a appliance repair person look at it.

Apr 07, 2012 | Dacor DMT2420 1200 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Problem with the Whirlpool GH5184XPQ 1100 Watts Microwave Oven: In turning the microwave on this morning, a faint electric sparking was heard. Upon shutting it off and opening the door an acrid burning...


The problem is that the magnetron is arcing when it is running and it has found a couple bare spots 'exposing the metal'. The microwave uses a special industrial white enamel paint to prevent arcing, it is very important that the oven be removed from service until the situation is rectified otherwise there is a danger of shorting out the magnetron.

Feb 22, 2011 | Whirlpool GH5184XPQ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

I put a metal pan with food inside my microwave oven. I heard a popping sound and there are now two tiny black marks pitted into the glass on the door. I can feel the two pitted marks from both inside...


Yes it is safe to continue using the Microwave as long as the integrity of the glass is not compromised and the pitted marks do not exceed 1/4 inch. The RFwave generated by the magnetron is a pretty wide RF wave beam.

If your really concerned you can take the unit to any appliance service center and ask that they perform an RF leakage test. There is really no other way to know if your leakage is within acceptable limits. I can tell you from personal experience that the ony microwave I ever saw demonstrated excessive leakage had either been dropped and had hinge or latch damage.

If your really worried about it and can not get to a service center you can do this test:
- Wrap a tall empty glass with a sheet of aluminum foil and place it about 3 inches away from the microwave in front of the area you where noticed the pitting.
- Run the microwave with a GLASS filled with water of equal size for 1 minute.
- Stand back 3 to 4 feet and watch for any signs of a spark on the aluminum foil.
- As soon as the microwave shuts off check the dry foil wrapped glass for any signs of heat.

(No heat.... no problem. Sparks or Heat = repair time.)

Thanks for choosing FixYa.

Kelly

Sep 21, 2010 | Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My nanny stuck a piece of chicken wrapped in aluminum foil into the microwave for 30 seconds ... naturally: diasaster .... the front glass is 'burned' in a small spot but I think it is a 'hole' ... still...


There is a plastic inner sheet that covers and protects the metal mesh that's in between the door panels.

If food, grease, or moisture gets on the metal mesh, it can be damaged, which can cause leakage, resulting in arcing and possible fire.

So the inner sheet must be repaired or replaced.

If the hole is not too big, you can use an Xacto knife or razor blade to cut away the damaged part, then clean & dry it thoroughly, and apply a small piece of clear packing tape over the area.

Otherwise, you can replace the sheet.

You can find links to helpful exploded view diagrams and part ordering help here.

I'd recommend that your bookmark this link to your favorites.


We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 06, 2009 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Will not heat. has power going to transformer


Hi,

There are a couple of steps you can do inorder to varify the main reason for your micro wave not heating.

Microwave doesn't activate / heat.
  1. Make sure microwave is plugged in properly.
  2. Check that door closes completely and its latch is aligned.
  3. Check that interlock switch in door works properly (required for activating microwave).
  4. Replace a blown fuse if it's accessible, or contact a service technician.
  5. Inspect plastic coupling beneath tray.
  6. Check ring and roller assembly for misalignment or debris.
  7. Make sure that tray is sitting properly on turning mechanism.
  8. If carousel motor is broken, contact a service technician.
  9. Make sure there's no aluminum foil or metal trim on dishware.
  10. Food residue or burned spots can cause electrical arcing. Clean chamber thoroughly. Replace wave-guide cover if burned or carbonized.
  11. Sand away burn spots, and smooth rough metal edges.
  12. Touch up spots with microwave interior paint if necessary.
  13. If chamber has burn holes, contact a service technician.
After doing these steps I am sure you would be able to figure out the problem area.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

God Bless.

Jul 09, 2009 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My kitchenaid microwave has started making a strange noise when I open and close the door. It sounds like paper or aluminum foil (?) or something is in the door when I close it (moreso than when opening...


Very good.

You may have to separate the door panels (as shown in the attached photo) and then you'll see the previously hidden screws you need to remove to get at the parts that need to be replaced.

Or you can watch a YouTube video (not a video I made) that demonstrates how it's done.

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.


cd56778.jpg

Dec 02, 2008 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...

1 Answer

I used some aluminum foil in a microwave-c9nvection setting and iy caused the glass in the door to crack.


New door req do not use proberly leaking microwave energy needs testing properly.

Oct 11, 2008 | Sharp Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Microwave door has burn spots on the glass of the door...


i have the same problem, there is a brown spot about 3 inch
by 2 inch at the bottom of the glass, I cannot clean it, it looks
like its in between the glass.

May 01, 2008 | Whirlpool MH6150XMS Microwave Oven

39 Answers

Microwave shuts off after a few seconds


Nov 22, 2007. I also had the 3 second shut off problem with my G/E 1650 MWO. Read all the above and tried them all. Finally I just took a 8" x 8" piece of Reynolds Wrap Aluminum foil and but it in an zip lock bag and placed it behind the control panel. It's been working for 2 weeks now. Just take out the 2 screws that hold the vent across the front right above the door. Next on the right side is one screw, take it out and then gently lift the control panel (panel with the buttons) about 1/2" and it will fold out and stay there. put the zip lock bag inside. Close it back up. I'd test it before replacing all the screws. You don't need to un-plug anything. Just don't stick your fingers on all the exposed parts...Mine works great now and didn't cost $0.10.

Oct 26, 2006 | GE JVM1653 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

27 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...