There is a good chance that you won't be able to run that game on windows 7 with any sort of compatability mode. There is however another more advanced method that can be used to run very old games. You can set up a virtual machine on your windows 7 operating computer, and on this virtual machine install an earlier copy of windows, windows 98 for instance, which will run the game just fine.
To do this you need a copy of windows 98, thats the easy bit.
Then you need to download and install Windows Virtual PC and check your software compatibility. The download link can be found here
Once you have Windows Virtual PC installed then you will need to set up your first virtual machine.
- Start up the program
- A wizard will pop up and help you through the creation of your first VM
- Select "Create Virtual Machine" and then click Next
- Select the Name For Your VM then click Next
- Then from the drop down menu to the left select Windows 98 and click Next
- Select "Using The Recommended Ram" then click Next
- Select "A New Virtual Hard Disc" then click Next
- My Suggestion is to leave these at Default, then click Next
- Check over the details and click Finish.
That should see your first VM Setup. Now go to the Virtual PC Console, select the VM you just created and click start. You should see a window that pops up showing what appears to be a PC starting up. That is the virtual PC starting up just like your pc would. Starting up for the first time can take quite a while so be patient.
The VM should then display the message "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device".
It's at this point you need your copy of Windows 98, on you VM window you will see on the menu bar at the top of the window the drop down "CD" click on this and select your disc method, which CD drive the disc is in or if it's an ISO file select that option.
Once you have that selected then:
- Press the space bar and the screen should change
- Select boot from CD-ROM, press enter
- Select Start Windows 98 Seyup from CD-Rom, press enter
- Press Enter when promted to
- Select Configure unallocated disc space, press enter
- Select, "Yes, Enable large Hard Disc Support". press enter
- Press Enter when promted, the VM will now restart
- Repeat the first 3 steps
- Setup should now be formatting your virtual hard drive
- Press Enter when prompted
- The Windows setup Wizard should now be running
- Follow the wizard through and Windows will start installing
- During this process the VM wil restart several times
- Once the VM restarts and again promts to start from CD-Rom or Hard Drive, select Hard Drive, then press enter.
- Once your VM starts up in Windows 98, proceed with the installation of the game and any other software it needs.
Once you've done all this you will have the perfect compatibilty platform set up for any old games you own, as it is Windows 98 not some mode stuck on the side of you version of windows.
This is quite a long and complicated method, but it will work and it will allow you to play just about any pre 2000 game going.