Question about Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder
Finding a replacement is next to impossible. However, you may be able to repair this drive if the only fault is that it will not recognise disks.
WARNING: The following instructions involve opening your recorder and being exposed to dangerous voltages. make sure you unplug the unit from the mains supply before opening the unit. DO NOT PLUG INTO THE MAINS WITH THE COVER REMOVED.
1. Eject the disk tray and then switch off the unit at the mains socket. Remove the plug from the socket for safety.
2. Unclip the front bezel from the disk tray. Push the tray back in.
3. Remove the top cover of the unit. Remove the front plastic bezel from the unit (should be clipped on).
4. I am not familiar with your particular model but you will probably need to loosen one or more boards inside to gain access to the actual DVD unit.
5. Remove the DW-U15A. Take the metal casing off the DW-U15A.
6. Slide the laser carriage back, away from the center. You will notice that one side if the carriage is firmly attached to the slide rail while the other side can be wobbled up and down on it's rail. There should be very little actual wobble. Unfortunately, the grub screw used on the carriage at this point is made from plastic instead of metal. So over a period of time this grub screw gets worn down and eventually the carriage leans too far over for the laser to bounce off the disk correctly.
7. You need to adjust the white grub screw to adjust the angle of the carriage (and therefore the laser). You will need a small ALLEN KEY (HEX key) or you can try a small flat blade screwdriver. The grub screw is locked by a small amount of coloured resin which will need to be broken.
8. The adjustment of the grub screw will basically be a case of trial and error. Turn the grub screw about a quarter of a turn CLOCKWISE (i.e. it should move down to lift the carriage up) and then reconnect to the main unit. put the cover back onto the unit and plug into the mains. Test the drive.
9. If it does not work then repeat step 8 until the unit reads the DVD.
10. You may need to fine tune the adjustment by trying a range of pre-recorded and home-grown DVDs.
11. If it still does not work after two or three full turns of the grub screw then either the laser unit is too dirty or the laser has failed, in which case you definitely need a replacement drive. Try finding a working DRU-510A and swap the control boards.
Posted on Oct 11, 2010
I have a Sony RDR-HX900 which I love, but the DVD burner recently began giving error messages stating that the disc is unreadable. This was for blank DVD-R as well as commercial movie DVDs. I was afraid that my beloved HX900 was at the end of it's life, until I found this post. It took about an hour and a half, mostly trying to figure out how the various parts were removed in order to gain access to and remove the burner. I finally got it out, took it apart, and adjusted the grub screw in a quarter turn. After reassembling everything, I tried burning a video to a blank DVD, and voila! It worked perfectly fine and plays and burns DVDs perfectly once more. Thanks to the OP for posting these directions!
Posted on Dec 05, 2012
Dear Ray, this was an excellent hint. The Recorder refused the read some DVD's, specifically rewritable blank Discs. After following your instructions it now reads and writes without any problem. Thank you for posting this solution.
Posted on Feb 15, 2016
Thank you for the advice. I also can fix this problem. Although there is a small (8x5cm) Z shaped aluminum bracket which I cannot put back because I do not know its place when I assembled the device, and I do not find its place in the service manual neither, but the recorder works correctly. :)
Posted on Jun 03, 2012
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 09, 2011 | Sony (DW-D56A-10/20) (DWD56A1020) DVD...
Feb 28, 2011 | Sony Computers & Internet
Dec 17, 2010 | Sony (DW-D18A ) (DW-D18A BG) DVD±RW...
Oct 19, 2010 | HP Computers & Internet
Feb 27, 2010 | Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder
Mar 29, 2009 | Sony DW-G120A DVD RW Dual Layer Burner
Oct 21, 2008 | Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder
Jun 18, 2008 | Sony VAIO GRX550 Notebook
Mar 04, 2015 | Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder
Sep 16, 2014 | Sony RDR-GX300 DVD Recorder
7,567 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!