Question about Samsung HT-X50 System
I've had the same problem. I smelled something burning, PROTECTION came up on the display, and the sytem shut off. Initially, I thought it just overheated, so I turned it off for the night and tried it again in the morning. It stayed on for about half an hour, then the same problem occurred, without the burning smell. I called Samsung, they said the "fan was out," but that doesn't explain the smell. I wanted to check for myself, so I opened the casing, and indeed found a burnt metallized polyester film capacitor. Samsung obviously did not consider the heat level that could get through it, and thus used the wrong type of capacitor. I'm sending it back to get serviced, hopefully it will come back with a different capacitor.
Posted on May 29, 2008
Do you smell anything burning. This happened to me and I cut it back on. It stayed on for 30 secs or so and did the same thing. After doing this 2-3 times, I smelled a burning. Being a member of the Fire Dept, I didn't want to see my buddy's coming to the house, so I unplugged it. The next day, I took it apart and there was a burnt resistor or something under neath the fan. I took it back and they gave me a new receiver, but I'm expecting the same with this one.
Posted on May 18, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 01, 2016 | Samsung HT-X40 System
Generally speaking, an amp protects itself from heat, shorts and overloads by refusing to turn on or stay on.
Overloads can be from excessive periods of high output and shorts would be wiring issues or a speaker blowing up.
You should be able to feel if it's hot. WHY is it overheating? Make sure it has sufficient ventilation on all sides and that vent holes are not blocked by dust balls. Ensure the fan (if equipped) is running as designed (some only operate on demand). Clean dust and debris from it.
If the amp comes back on after cooling, you're lucky. They only have so many self-protection cycles in their lives so continuously resetting or cycling their power without addressing the cause can do more harm than good.
If it protects immediately on a cool power up you should disconnect the speaker connections and try it 'naked'. If it comes up then diagnose which lead(s) are shorted. If it does not come up the problem is internal and should be left to an experienced hands-on tech.
Feb 07, 2011 | Samsung HT-X50 System
Jan 23, 2011 | Samsung HT-X50 System
Nov 22, 2010 | Samsung HT-X50 System
Jun 30, 2010 | Samsung HT-X50 System
Dec 05, 2009 | Samsung Audio Players & Recorders
Jul 05, 2009 | Samsung HT-Z310T Theater System
May 25, 2009 | Samsung HT-Z310T Theater System
Jan 31, 2009 | Samsung HT-X50 System
655 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: