Question about Troy Bilt 5.5hp Self Propelled Mower

1 Answer

Where is the drainage plug to change the oil?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 183 Answers

Your Briggs&Stratton engine's drain plug is on the bottom side of the engine. It has a 3/8" square recess in the plug. Most modern mowers have a cover on the bottom for the self propel belt. You can remove the blade and cover, or you can drain thru the filler tube. Most repair shops drain thru the filler. To do this, you will need a small drain bucket and a pickup truck or outdoor table. Warm up the mower, then turn it off. Place the mower on the tailgate, or table and then place the push handle on the ground. This should position the mower where the spark plug is pointed straight up. Put your bucket under the dipstick tube and quickly remove the dipstick. All of the oil will quickly drain thru the filler tube into your bucket. Have some newspaper and or rags handy to catch any stray oil. After it has drained, put the mower back on the ground and refill with a good quality SAE HD30 weight motor oil. It only takes about 20 ounces to fill. Wipe and check the dipstick oil level 2 times before starting the engine.
Good luck!

Posted on Sep 13, 2010

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

Tip

Changing Powerstroke injectors


A key step most DIY'ers forget when changing the injectors is to remove the UVC (under valve cover) oil drain plugs. These plugs drain the excess oil from the oil passage so it doesn't leak into the cylinder and cause hydro lock (clyinders full of fluid) and damage pistons/rods. To do this you remove the valve covers and then the gasket as well as the injector harnesses. The 2 drain plugs are located directly underneath the 2 wiring harnesses (front and rear). This requires an allen wrench (4.5mm I believe) and do not torq when tightning). You must remove both to allow maximum oil drainage.

on Dec 02, 2009 | Ford F-350 Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Where is drainage plug on buick 2002 rendouzv


Drainage plug for what? You have not bothered to indicate if it is for the engine oil, the transmission fluid or something else.

Apr 19, 2016 | Buick Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I want to know where the oil drainage plug is on a 1994 Holden jackaroo


I believe the 3.2 is a Honda/Acura engine and not a Isuzu engine. Are you talking about changing the engine oil or the transmission fluid? I ask because you state "the oil drainage plug" but later you mention the Automatic transmission.
As for engine oil plugs, they are almost always found low on the engine oil pan, sometimes facing the front (like my Jag), to the side (like my Ford Ranger) or to the rear like my 90 Acura Legend 2.7L V6 did. Most have a bolt with a washer that should be replaced every time. If it doesn't look like a large hexagonal bolt head it could very well be a rubber plug that is pushed in. Not a good design in my humble opinion. If you change the oil be careful not to do it when the engine is hot as the oil is also quite hot. I believe in doing it when just warm, more drains out. I find it beneficial to drain about a quart out, put the drain plug back in and add a quart of Gunk or Snap engine oil slush, start it (but don't rev the engine & DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE) and let it just idle for 15 minutes. Give it some time to cool then remove the drain plug and let it drain out. Next remove the oil filter. Always ALWAYS pour fresh oil into the new filter a couple of times before screwing it on, and spread a little oil on the little rubber gasket on the filter first. I recommend synthetic oil for any vehicle as it doesn't break down into coke (hard rock-like black stuff) like conventional oil does. Those coke deposits are engine killers. I like Mobile 1 extended fuel economy. Synthetic costs more but lasts longer. If using synthetic were to only extend the life of your engine by two or three years, I consider it well worth the added expense. It should reduce wear in the engine, keep it much cleaner, make it quieter, and give you better mileage because it's slicker (less internal friction).

Mar 24, 2012 | 2003 Holden Jackaroo

1 Answer

Mr oil drainage plug was lost and a temp plug was inserted. After recent oil change all oil leaked out now car wont crank. Checked oil nothing in motor. If i fix the plug and put oil back in car will it...


you will be very lucky if it will start by the sounds of things the engine is now seized and may never run again, if you can move the engine around with your hand or turn it in some way buy yourself, you might be lucky, i think you are looking at a 20% chance that it will run, and 80% chance of a new engine needed....hope this helps

Jul 02, 2010 | 2004 Chrysler Sebring

1 Answer

I have a 2007 250 ninja and I am changing the oil for the first time. I am trying to locate the drain plug for the oil and the oil filter location?


The oil filter is under the engine towards the front,black canister ,and the drain plug is at the very bottom of the engine in the middle probably 12 or 13mm spanner,when removing dont loose the copper or alloy seal washer,allways warm the engine first,to help drainage of oil ,and replace with quality 15/40w motorcycle engine oil,semi synthetic never use car oil.

Mar 18, 2010 | 2008 kawasaki Ninja 250R

1 Answer

Finding the oil drainage plug


on a 3.5l its on left pass side of oil pan near bottom middle

Mar 06, 2010 | 1999 Chrysler 300M

1 Answer

Step by step instuctions on how to do oil change for 2007 lexus 350 rx


Before attempting this locate the oil filter and be sure YOU can access it comfortably with a filter wrench.
You will also need to locate the drain plug on the lowest portion of the underside of the engine oil pan. The plug likely has an Allen key insert so be certain you have the correct wrench to match, along with matching filter and oil pan plug seal..
Rotate the plug counter clockwise to loosen. I change and drain mine with the oil filler cap off so air can help the drainage. Then I unscrew the filter and reinstall a fresh one being certain the gasket are is clean on the engine surface.
Reinstall fresh filter hand tight, two hands. Install drain plug by hand so as not to cross thread with a fresh seal if required, hand tighten with wrench. Then fill resevoir with at least 4 ltrs recommended oil checking dipstick so as not to overfill.
After starting check for any drips of clean fresh oil;

Dec 23, 2009 | 2007 Lexus RX 350 FWD

1 Answer

How to change oil on 2002 fat boy


The drain plug is a hose that comes down to a sprung clamp on the frame behind the gear box on the right side of your bike. Remove from clamp then undo the screw-ring round the hose to allow the plug in the hose to be removed, take lid off oil tank and turn engine over a coupla times to clear engine oil into drainage tank. Replace plug- etc before refilling with half the oil, turn engine over coupla times then add remaining top up oil. Drainage for your primary oil is at the rear inside near the gasket joint and can be removed with a Hex spanner, taking the large outside cover off your primary with star drive sockets to allow airflow for drainage and then to pour new oil in through after replacing drainage plug in the bottom. Buy a Manual Mate, its worth it eh considering the value of your bike?

Jun 18, 2009 | 2003 Harley Davidson FLSTF Fat boy

1 Answer

Changing the oil myself


Oil drain plug is the lowest bolt on the oil pan. The oil drain plug faces towards the passenger side tire.

Apr 29, 2009 | Ford Explorer Cars & Trucks

Not finding what you are looking for?
Troy Bilt 5.5hp Self Propelled Mower Logo

130 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Troy Garden Experts

Matt Olenzek
Matt Olenzek

Level 2 Expert

293 Answers

Mike Squire

Level 2 Expert

391 Answers

Tim Whalen

Level 3 Expert

3074 Answers

Are you a Troy Garden Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...