Recently I received many requests from users in troubles because they could not unlock their washing machine.
I decided to publish a tip illustrating the unlock procedure.
These instructions apply to most Miele front loading washing machines. They will work on all the W4800 series washers.
Instructions on how to set on and off your Miele’s child lock function are also contained in the user manual.
If you attempt to open the door while the Child Lock function is activated you will get the message "Machine locked" and the picture below on display:
If the door lock is locked during the wash cycle, press the pause button, and the door will open.
In order to deactivate the Child Lock:
- Press and hold the "Heavy Soil" button until the display shows an unlocked pad lock picture and says Ready to Use (hold up to ten seconds, it should be less).
If you want to re-activate the Child Lock:
- Press and hold the "Heavy Soil" again, until the display shows a locked pad lock picture and says Ready to Use .
The drum door cannot be opened, and the machine may stay locked if one of conditions below is occurring:
- The water temperature is more than 55°C (130°F).
- The water level is too high.
- The Child Lock function is activated.
- There is a fault.
If the washer is in one of the above conditions, you will get the machine locking even if child lock is off.
If the door is locked because of a fault, and there is water in the drum, the machine will also lock up.
In that case the door will open only after accessing the drain pump.
The pump service door is opened using a tool stored behind the dispenser drawer.
The tool must be used only after disconnecting power.
I think I will post a detailed procedure on how to fix a blocked drain pump on the next tip.
I hope this tip has helped you to fix your problem.