Question about Garden
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
part # 94-8812 is traction belt 106-4498 auger belt
There is a service bulltin on this I have not seen this yet, Ill paste it for you to look at .
this was issued dec 22-2003 you would think that it would have shown up as a problem by now.
UNITS AFFECTED: Model Number(s): Serial Number(s):
38621 (Int'l.) 240000001-240999999
38635 (Int'l.) 240000001-240999999
38645 (Int'l.) 240000001-240999999
SUBJECT: Traction belt jumps off the pulley.
SITUATION: Incorrect pulley alignment causes the traction belt to jump off, usually when the drive is disengaged or as a hill is crested.
1. Remove the belt cover, engine belt guide and the bolt securing the crankshaft pulley.
2. Remove the auger brake assembly.
3. Remove the crankshaft pulley and the auger belt.
4. On the left side of the machine, remove the hair pin cotter from the speed control link and slide the link out of the pulley pivot assembly. The traction belt can now be removed.
5. Shorten the pulley half nearest the engine (PN 106-7334) shown in Fig 1. Grind or machine 1/8” (.125”/3.2mm). from the hub end of the pulley. The new finished length of the pulley half should be 1.07” (2.7cm).
6. Chamfer the bore to ensure the pulley fully contacts the shoulder on the crankshaft. You can send the pulley to an outside machine shop if you do not feel that you can modify the pulley in house.
7. Reinstall the pulley with a new traction belt.
A. Chamfer edge after grinding/machining.
B. Remove 1/8”.
C. Masking tape used as a reference line.
8. With the engine off, engage both the traction and auger levers and inspect the alignment of both the auger and traction belt idler pulleys (Fig. 2). Since we have moved the crankshaft pulley it may be necessary to bend the idler arms slightly to center the belts. Adjust as needed.
9. Install the engine belt guide and test operate.
10. Install the belt covers.
PARTS: P/N 94-8812 Traction Belt
Posted on Feb 10, 2009
SOURCE: belts slipping and breaking
If you are putting on the mtd belts and installing them right then you need to check bearings in variable speed pulley Also check idler and that no other pulley has been bent from installation.
Posted on May 16, 2009
I have the exact same model MTD tractor with same problem. It began when the bolt that extends through the idler arm assembly broke and subsequently damaged the pulley. Upon examination of the broken bolt, I found that the threaded end that extends below the deck is significantly smaller that the rest of the bolt. I got a larger bolt with the same size threads, bored out the hole through the deck and it made the whole idler assembly much stronger. the deck still has some vibration and some unusual belt harmonics, but it appears to be working. Compared to most other tractors of this size, this deck is very complicated.
Posted on Jun 15, 2009
hi;go to partstree.com.put in your model # and make.then click on deck assembly.it will be what your looking for.hope this helps.please rate this;Thank's
Posted on Jul 04, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
May 26, 2016 | Mtd Garden
Jul 04, 2014 | Mtd Garden
Feb 02, 2013 | Craftsman 20 Hp 42" Deck Lawn Tractor
Oct 20, 2017 | Mtd Garden
Jul 30, 2011 | Mtd Yard - Man 160cc, 21" Self - Propelled...
Jun 21, 2010 | Mtd Yard - Man 160cc, 21" Self - Propelled...
Apr 19, 2010 | Mtd Garden
Dec 03, 2009 | Mtd Yard - Man 160cc, 21" Self - Propelled...
Jul 19, 2009 | Mtd 22" Yard Machine Push Mower
114 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!