does not accept one or more of the printheads. Typical causes are dirty contacts on the printheads or carriage
, defective printhead(s), or a defective carriage
If parts are replaced or fixed in any of the steps listed below, attempt to verify printer functionality by turning the printer on and printing internal test prints. If functionality is verified, no additional parts should be replaced.
- Turn the printer on.
- Allow printer to complete initialization.
- With the printhead icon highlighted, press ENTER.
- Select Replace Printheads and press ENTER.
- If the message "Printheads still functional" appears, select Yes to continue testing the printheads.
- Open the top cover.
- Open the carriage cover and remove all of the printheads.
- Turn the printer off.
- Clean the electrical contacts on the carriage and the printheads using a lint-free cloth dampened with water.
- (for this step I suggest using the erraser on the back of a regular pencil instead of a cloth and water)
- Allow the contacts to dry.
- Reinstall the printheads and close the carriage cover.
- Close the top cover.
- Turn the printer on and attempt to verify functionality, as instructed in Step 19.
- If the error reappears, replace the affected printhead(s).
NOTE: If the printhead error icon is a question mark, each printhead will have to be tested separately, as the printer is not sure which printhead is causing the problem.
- Following replacement of the suspect printhead(s), attempt to verify functionality (Step 19).
- If the problem persists following, replace the carriage and trailing cable (refer to pages 8-36 to 8-46 of the service manual).
- Following replacement, turn the printer on.
- Make sure the printhead alignment completes successfully and that no error messages appear on the front panel.
- Print a troubleshooting plot (as instructed below) to ensure the print quality is acceptable.
- On the front panel, select the printer icon and press ENTER.
- Select Utilities and press ENTER.
- Press the UP and ENTER buttons simultaneously.
- Select Yes to enter the Service Menu.
- Select Service Utilities and press ENTER.
- Print pages 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 to prove printer functionality.