Question about Plumbing

1 Answer

I want to put another water line onto an existing 3/4 galv. pipe. To put a "T" in the middle will I have to weld it or is there left and right threads so you can tighten the middle pipe turning in one direction and have it draw the two joints together.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 377 Answers

The problem you are faced with is that galvanized pipe is put together as a "progressive" process. The easiest action you can take is to cut the galvanized pipe where you want the T and back out both pieces of pipe from their respective joints. Reassemble and use a union coupling to finish the connections. An alternative would be to replace the section of the line where you want the T to be with copper pipe, using a dielectric union at both ends where you connect back into the galv. pipe. You have to solder the connections, but it might be easier.

Posted on Sep 12, 2010


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

We moved into a old trailer and the shower walls and tub have lots of mold and the shower when turned on on puts out a small flow if water like a drip weve tried replacing washers and shower heads but same...

Older trailers had galvinized pipe in them. Over time galv pipe scales up and greatly restricts flow. Try pulling the stems and flushing out the valve body.

May 08, 2014 | Home

1 Answer

How do I install my hot water heater?

Youtube offers many videos of the water heater installation. Drain first with a garden hose. after turning off water and unplugging electric or shut off gas.

If changing to a tankless, remember they often require a larger vent pipe to the roof. 4" usually, not the 3" for tank water heaters. Local building codes may require a permit and a larger Gas feed pipe.
Also if you're going to use the old Pressure Relief Valve DO NOT test the valve by activating the little lever. Once used over time their internal seals weld onto the closed seat and tend to rip and leak if you test the valves function. Replace with new ( $15) if it's been operated. Most plumbers now use Braded Feed Lines from/to the Water sources, making future replacements easier. You might find the replacement Tank is not the same geometry as the old one, having longer braided feed lines helps when they are on opposite ends of the tank top and the original feed lines are copper and wont reach the new tank pipes or the tank gas starter door is on the back side requiring you to rotate the tank 180. If you're changing size, measure the width and height. It might not fit the old installation.


1 Answer


A leaking from a pipe (but from a soldered or threaded connection point) should be replaced - not repaired. Chances are good that the wall thickness of the pipe has been reduced all along the pipe's length. This means that even if you "seal" the existing leaks, new ones will probably pop up fairly soon.

If you insist on attempting a seal, you may have luck with JB Weld's WaterWeld. JB Weld products are available from most hardware stores, home centers, etc. WaterWeld is designed for plumbing repairs like yours. This should stop the leak at this location - but beware of new leaks, later.

I hope this helps & good luck!

Nov 14, 2012 | Water Heaters

1 Answer

Broken exhaust pipe

measure the with tape line and go to autozone and they will give you whay you need. Alot of times if a middle section of pipe is missing flex pipe is your best option and easyest to install. Better than that even would be to take it to muffler shop and have new pipe welded of luck

Aug 13, 2012 | 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera

1 Answer

Hi I had a leak in my water line to the ice maker. I replaced the line, now it will not make ice. Water is not going into it.

The fact that it was running fine before you replaced the pipe indicates the problem is with either the connections on either side or possibly the pipe is kinked or the wires from the solonoid pipe have been accidently moved. Firstly Dissconnect each end and see if pipe is clear and round on both sides. if good, blow into one end and see if blowing is possible. Then replace one side of pipe onto solonid side. With the opposite end open activate the valve. Water should come out in about 3 seconds. no water = vave not activating.If you are not farmiliar with mains power i suggest you dont test solonoid by yourself. Get help. Put a lead onto the solonoid and plug into mains. Switch on briefly and see if sol. activates with water exiting on the open side. If so switch off and reconnect pipe onto connecter that old one came off from.Once connected, have someone check inside at the icemaker while you put power on to the valve again.If water comes out, switch off- pull plug out then reinsert solonoid wires back onto the sol. Must work. Very seldom will the valve be a problem. Another thing you could do is to activate the test button function.

Aug 19, 2010 | Refrigerators

1 Answer

Which is the cold water input to the worester 240 combi boiler . because of the position its difficult to check . Im fitting a hydroflow limescale reducer .from left to right there are 5 pipes is the cold...

HI turn the boiler on to heating and see which pipe gets hot that will be your heating flow the return will be cold at first , then put on hot water only, pipe to hot taps will get hot , water inlet will get cold , you should be able to work it out from that the middle could well be the gas ?

Jan 30, 2010 | Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Digging hole and have cut the top of the rainwater tank pipe about 500mm in the ground, pipe is pvc and 90mm round

The tank is 19&11/16 deep. the pipe is 3in PVC, SCH40. I will need a reciprocating saw w/8in blade, a peice of 3 in pipe 4 ft long and 2-3 in of SCH 40 slip couplings or 2-3 in compression couplings. ,Pipe joint compound, Glue and primer if using the slip coupling If your using the compression couplings,2-24 in pipe wrenches and a spade.Dig the line up exsposing the broken pipe plus about 12in to 18in more pipe on each end..Cut out the broken porsion plus 8 to 12 inoneach end leaving 6 in or more pipe on each end to tigh on to,Measure the distance of pipeyou have cut out .Cut your replacment pipe 1in shorter than the peice you cut out Slide your comp, couplings all the way onto the replacment pipe .Manuver pipe into place .Slide the comp, couplings onto the exsisting pipe half way,splitting the distance in the middle of the couplings.Put pipe joint compound on the threds and a little on the bevel of the rubber union gasket Tighten the couplings evenly.Check your grade it needs 1/8 in p, ft If its all right then backfill to the top of the pipe and tamp the earth making sure the pipe is commpleatly secure then back fill the rest of the ditch in 6 in increments tamping between layers.

Nov 03, 2009 | Plumbing

1 Answer

I have a older home with very slow hot water flow. Is there anything I can do myself? The pipes are cast iron.

Have you tried removing the aerators from the faucets and cleaning out the sediment. You can also drain down the water tank to try and remove any sediment that has settled in the bottom.

Sep 21, 2009 | Plumbing

1 Answer

Size and installation for instant water heater

Ariston gl4.0 should be fine if used inline with your hot water heater. Used alone it will likely run out when dishwasher is filling and you are using sink.To use your existing hot water for backup: 1 connect existing HOT water line to cold (inlet) on ariston, 2 Then HOT (outlet) from ariston to sink and dw. If you want instant hot water at a sink 10 feet away: use 3/8 pex pipe from ariston to sink, so you only have to run off a cupful or 2 before hot water arrives at sink.

Aug 30, 2009 | RTO Ariston Gl4.0 Instantaneous Electronic...

2 Answers

We began replaceing our galvanized pipes. Since

The problem is that when you disturb the galv. pipes, the gunk inside breaks loose, and travels to the faucets, gets stuck, and limits the volume of water that comes out.
If possible open the lines at the service valves, and force water through the spigot to fluch out the faucet. The service value could also be partially clogged, keep that in mind

Aug 05, 2009 | Plumbing

Not finding what you are looking for?
Plumbing Logo

Related Topics:

104 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Plumbing Experts

Donni Steen

Level 3 Expert

659 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

15691 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

34789 Answers

Are you a Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides