Instructions per De'Longhi:
Due to the continuous heating of the water used to make the coffee, over time it is normal for the tubing inside the machine to fill with lime scale. When the light starts flashing, it is time to descale the machine.
when the light switches on, the coffee maker can still be used to prepare coffee.
Proceed as follows:
• Empty the tank and pour in the contents of one bottle (125 ml) of DURGOL descaler plus one liter of water. For subsequent descaling operations, descaling solution can be purchased from authorized technical service centers.
Note: Make sure splashes of descaler do not fall onto surfaces sensitive to acid such as marble, limestone and granite.
• place a container with a minimum capacity of 34 oz. under the
• turn the machine on by pressing the button.
• wait for the green and indicator lights to come on steady.
• press and hold the button for at least 5 seconds. The decalcification warning light will illuminate to indicated the start of the descaling program (the and lights remain off to indicate that it is not possible to make coffee).
• turn the steam knob half a turn counter-clockwise. The
descaling solution will come out of the cappuccino frother and start to fill the container underneath.
• the descaling program automatically performs a series of deliveries and pauses, so as to remove the lime scale deposits from inside the coffee maker.
• after around 30 minutes, when the light comes on, turn the steam knob half a turn clockwise until it stops.
The machine must be rinsed so as to eliminate the residues of descaling solution from inside the machine. Proceed as follows:
• remove the water tank, rinse it and fill it with clean water.
• reposition the tank.
• empty the collection container (located under the milk frother) that is full of liquid, and then replace it under the milk frother.
• turn the steam knob half a turn counter-clockwise. Hot water will come out of the milk frother and fill the container underneath.
• when the tank is empty, the indicator light goes off and another light (looks like a pitcher pouring water) comes on.
• turn the steam knob all the way clockwise and fill the water
tank with clean water again.
• the program of descaling is now terminated and the machine is
ready to make coffee again.
NOTE: if the descaling procedure is interrupted before completion, the alarm is not deactivated and the procedure
must be started again form the beginning.
IMPORTANT: FAILURE TO DESCALE THE APPLIANCE REGULARLY INVALIDATES THE WARRANTY.
You can download the entire pdf manual from the De'Longhi website: http://www.delonghiusa.com/index.php?texts&pid=10&catid=1
Descaling products are widely available from stores that sell coffeemakers and espresso machines. Be sure that the product you buy to descale your Espresso machine is intended for this specific use only. Before you descale your Espresso machine, always unplug it and make sure that it is cold. Also, never immerse the appliance in water or use abrasive cleaning products/scouring materials on any part of your espresso machine.