Question about Dryers
To access the burner assembly on your dryer, follow these steps:
1. UNPLUG the dryer and remove the lint screen.
2. Remove the two screws that were under the lint screen and lift the top panel.
3. Unplug the door switch connector plug and any ground wire that may be installed on the casing.
4. Locate the two screws that hold the front panel in place. There should be one screw on each side in the cabinet interior.
5. With the door shut, lean against the front panel and remove the two screws that hold it in place. Once the screws are removed, grasp the front panel at the top center and lift straight up to remove.
You should now have complete access to the dryer interior.
6. Remove the dryer drum. Release the belt tension, by pushing the idler pulley (tensioner) to the right (away from the belt) and remove the belt from around the motor drive pulley. Leave the belt wrapped around the drum and use it as a handle to lift the entire durm out of the dryer cabinet.
You should noe haver full access to the burner assembly and other interior components. NOTE: With the drum removed, this is a good time to do a good general inspection and cleaning of the dryer cabinet.
Once you have completed your igniter installation, reinstall the drum and reassemble the dryer as follows:
1. With the ribbed side facing the drum surface, leave the belt wrapped around the drum and lift. Lower it in place inside the dryer cabinet.
2. Lower the front of the drum slightly and place the back groove of the drum on the drum support rollers first.
3. Slowly rotate the drum until you feel both drum support rollers engage into the rear groove of the drum.
4. Lift the the front of the drum up so that the rear felt seal seats against the cabinet back.
5. Hold the drum in place with your shoulder and reinstall the drive belt around the belt tensioner and drive motor pulley.
6. Loop the drive belt around the dryer drum with the groove side facing the drum. (Try to line the belt up with the wear marks already on the drum from the previous belt).
7. With the tensioner in your left hand, insert the clip end of the idler pulley into the grooves on the dryer bottom casing with the idler wheel pointing to your left. (The grooves are directly in front of the drive motor.)
8. While holding the tensioner in place, insert the belt UNDER the wheel with your right hand and push the wheel to the RIGHT while pulling the belt over the drive motor pulley.
If this does not explain it well enough, you can also verify by going to repairclinic.com. Click on the Repair Help link and look for the "Dryer Belt Diagrams" link under the Special Features section on the next page. Look for WHIRLPOOL and refer to diagram H (This model Amana is manufactured by Whirlpool).
Replacement parts (if required) can be ordered on line at any of the following websites:
If you still have the teflon glide type tensioner (does not have a wheel), Whirlpool recommends you replace it with a conventional roller type idler pulley. The teflon type tensioners caused premature wear to the drive belt. The part number is 691366.
Once you have the belt installed, re-install the dryer front panel by holding it as you did previously. Line up the holes on the inside bottom edge of the front panel with the small mounting cleats on the front edge of the side panels. This can be done by yourself, but an assist may make it easier. Once you have the front panel in place, lean against it to hold it in place and install the mounting screws.
NOTE: Don't forget to reconnect the grounding wire and door switch connector plug. Without the door switch connected, the dryer will not run. Lower the top panel back in place and reinstall the two screws.
NOTE: Placing a piece of duct tape over the dryer vent chute will help safeguard against dropping anything down in the blower fan assembly. If you drop any screws down the chute, you will need to remove the dryer back panel to retrieve them. If you have any questions about this repair, please post back and let me know. I hope this helps you.
Posted on Sep 09, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 09, 2012 | Whirlpool LGR8648 Gas Dryer
Jun 04, 2012 | Whirlpool LGR8648 Gas Dryer
Sep 10, 2010 | Whirlpool Dryers
Jan 23, 2010 | Whirlpool LGR7646E Dryer
Jul 05, 2009 | Whirlpool LGR5636L Gas Dryer
Jun 19, 2009 | Whirlpool LER4634J Electric Dryer
May 09, 2009 | Whirlpool Dryers
136 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!