Question about Washing Machines
This assumes that you have a basic Kenmore / Whirlpool top load, direct drive, neutral drain (it doesn't spin until the pump removes most of the water) machine.
First, see the Sears parts site for your washer:
Enter your model number (###.######) and you'll see a list of major sub-components with diagrams and parts.
If the bottom agitates and not the top, the problem is likely the 4 "agitator dogs" designed to allow the top agitator to turn only one way.
Look at the section on the Sears site for Agitator, basket and tub.
See the part "Dog, agitator "
Remove the fabric softener unit, lift the top agitator cap (use a screwdriver) and you should see a plastic part in the center of the top agitator with a 1/2" square drive.
Remove the drive and lift off the top agitator. Turning it over you should see the 4 "dogs", replace these and the top agitator should turn in one direction only.
Replace the 1/2" drive, the cap and fabric softener unit and the top agitator should work.
Also see the following illustrated description of the above.
Posted on Sep 07, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 08, 2011 | Washing Machines
2) Pull the inner cap (if present) off - many Whirlpool machines use this inner cap, with a handle, to gain access to the center bolt
3) Remove the bolt in the center of the agitator (earlier models used a 7/16" hex-head steel bolt)
On older models, grasp the bottom portion of the agitator and pull the entire assembly out of the washer. (Some recent models allow just the top portion's removal to access these 'dogs')
5) Older models - place the agitator on the floor, and, standing carefully on the bottom portion, pull the top half off. Turn it over, and the dogs will be accessible for replacement.
6) Newer model dogs can be replaced once just the ratchet ***'y is removed. There are several versions currently in use, but most can be replaced without removing the bottom agitator half. All '4-dog' versions use the 285770 (or #80040) kit, regardless of the cam ***'y style. (Really old agitators, rarely seen now, used a pair of 2 larger dogs, which are a different part number)
7) On older versions, be careful to align the two tabs when inserting the upper ***'y back onto the agitator bottom half. When these are aligned, they will friction-fit the two halves together, making it easier to reinstall the ***'y. Handle it only by the bottom half to prevent pulling the top half off when reinstalling.
8) Lightly lubricate the agitator cap's rubber gasket using a bit of dishwasher detergent, and push it back into place. (On the Whirlpools with an inner cap, lube that cap's o-ring too - makes it easier to snap into place)
Apr 18, 2011 | Kenmore 24042 Top Load Washer
Mar 21, 2011 | Whirlpool Washing Machines
Jun 30, 2010 | Washing Machines
Jun 26, 2010 | Roper RAS8445KQ Top Load Washer
May 27, 2010 | Whirlpool Ultimate Care II LSQ9549L Top...
Jul 17, 2009 | Washing Machines
Mar 18, 2009 | Whirlpool Ultimate Care II LSQ9549L Top...
Jan 25, 2009 | Whirlpool LSQ9600L Top Load Washer
Mar 18, 2008 | Whirlpool Ultimate Care II LSQ9549L Top...
61 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!