Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The protective plate is catching on fire - Microwave Ovens

Posted by on

  • mjsquared518 Sep 04, 2008

    It is safe to remove. I had my previous micro wave for 25 years and this one only 1 year. I never had to clean it

  • robjo Nov 19, 2008

    The protective material on the ceiling of the M615G seriously caught fire complete with flames encouraged and blown forward by the fan. Not good for a microwave costing £500+. Be interested to hear of more instances.

×

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Genius:

    An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.

  • Master
  • 1,554 Answers

If you mean the screen that goes to the magnetron opening.
likely has goop/grease in the holes,
it has a screw to remove it and clean it.

Posted on May 12, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

We have model FR185B-CON in our camper, when try to use the oven it makes a loud banging noise. Micowave works fine.


Check the air flow it's probably dirty clogged, don't use it till you find the problem, cuz it could over heat and catch it self on fire. Check the rotating plate inside, skipped gears maybe. Good luck

Jul 06, 2015 | In Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Had a power surge, microwave started to smoke. Reset power in the house and microwave works fine. 1) Is there anything I should be concerned about? 2) If I continue to use it, can it catch on fire?


Microwave ovens have a lot of safety devices built in. Not sure why or where it was smoking from but without removing the cabinet and having a visual look for something burnt, it would be impossible to say. If the machine is now working OK, ??? who knows. All I can say is that for the next few future uses of the machine, I wouldn't leave it unattended in case there is something that has failed. Chances of fire in a microwave is possible but this is usually something that you are cooking that catches fire, not the machine itself. I have seen the mica cover plate burn in the cooking compartment. It may be that ? Its a small squarish plate that is usually on the side of the oven compartment. It stops food etc and splatters from going into whats known as the waveguide tunnel (The part where the microwaves come out) On some machines, this cover may be plastic. Have a close look inside the oven compartment for a cover that has burn marks or discoloration.

Apr 13, 2015 | In Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

My Bosch Micro HMB405 started sparking/arcing with a burning smell. I had an empty plate in there. Was trying to warm a clear glass dinner plate. Did I kill the magnatron by putting an empty plate in the...


Michelle,
You may have killed the magnetron but you may not have either. If you can take that cover plate off, you may find that there is grease build up behind it and that needs to be cleaned off. Grease can build up there without you even realizing it and after a while it can catch fire from the heat created by the magnetron. You should never put any empty plate or container in a microwave because the magnetron needs to have something for the waves to hit. Hope this helps.

Mar 25, 2015 | Bosch Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

While baking a sweet potato, the potato exploded and caught on fire. The microwave no longer works.a fire bro


I haven't heard of such a thing. You must have cooked it until there was no moisture left in the potato. That would also account for the failure of the oven. It would be the same as no load in the oven.
A thermal protect part is your current problem.

Apr 02, 2014 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Replacement mica cover for sanyo d95535n microwave


Hi there micro
There are things that the microwave does not like. One of them is aluminium or metal for that matter.
You can buy plastic hoods or just cover the plate with plastic film not forgetting to pierce the film in several places in order to let the steam escape.
all the best
Kolbrun

Apr 09, 2012 | Sanyo Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

There is sparking in the rotating plate area when my Lg Microwave Appliance 192 A is turned on.................What causes that to happen?


remove all the interior items and see if this happens. usually due to something metallic inside the microwave. if there is still the problem then there is probably some shielding damaged i would not use the microwave as it could catch fire in the worst case. if it is under warranty, return it. if the problem goes away when they contents are removed then there will be a problem with one of the plates or stands. replacements can be bought

Apr 05, 2012 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

What caused this to catch on fire?


its the grease that has got into it replace it and allways keep it clean

Dec 06, 2011 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Over the range microwaves have a piece of face plate inside and ive heard it has the tendency to catch fire. Why is that and what can i tell them to prevent the fire in the microwave.


When this happens, it is due to grease or food particles stuck somewhere in the cavity of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

Keep the inside of the cooking cavity clean and if necessary, dry it out after use.


We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jun 19, 2010 | Maytag Appliances Over-the-Range Microwave...

1 Answer

Why does the fuse inside of the microwave keeps blowing


The fuse is protecting the unit from over heating and catching on fire. Either the electrical circuitry is bad in the unit or in the outlet you are using. You can test the outlet with a voltmeter to test the outlet to see if it is good or try another similar type of appliance. Chances are, it is the microwave.

Nov 07, 2009 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Flame flickers on the back of the cover when i switch on


Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck somewhere in the cavity of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

The waveguide cover (also called a spatter shield) is usually about the size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 20, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

78 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...