Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Open Question

My microwave smells like electrical wires burning, what could be the cause?

Posted by on

Ad

5 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad
rickzilla
  • 706 Answers

SOURCE: burning wire smell

Hello jvtmad1,
All of the previous comments are relatively good ideas but let me offer some additional advice,
First off, You need to determine if the burning smell is coming from the Microwave itself or from the receptacle that provides power to it. Most wall receptacles are rated for 15 amps and should easily handle your microwave ovens power requirements. A simple check might be to run a hair dryer on the same receptacle without the microwave plugged into it. They draw comparable power so that should eliminate the recptacle as the culpret, On the assumption that the burnt wire smell is coming from the microwave itself, then your best bet is to return it to the store for a repair or replacement. Unless you are properly trained on how to sservice that, you probably shouldn't attempt it. As stated in previous comments, it should still be under warranty. If you have a bad filament transformer, magnetron or the wiring between them, that is not something you want to fiddle with yourself.
In summary, eliminate the receptacle on the wall as being the problem first.
If you find tha your receptacle is the problem, then you may be able to remove or disable power to it by switching off teh appropriate circuit breaker or fuse.. then take off the face plate and check the integrity of the wires going to that receptacle and making sure they are tightly secured to the terminals of the receptacle. I would assume that if that were the problem, you would notice a burnt smell as soon as you took off the face plate. Hope some of thes ideas help you resolve your problem...
Regards,
Rick

Posted on Nov 22, 2008

Ad
heatman101
  • 43501 Answers

SOURCE: microwave smokes and smells like burning plastic

Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

heatman101

Posted on Aug 07, 2010

  • 13 Answers

SOURCE: ge microwave oven wall smelling wire burn!!!!

time to put it to rest

Posted on Jan 02, 2009

localwonder
  • 6784 Answers

SOURCE: MICROWAVE IS NOT HEATING

HI, the actual device that produces the heat is damaged or faulty. this device is called the Magnetron. you will need to replace this part in order to restore the heating ability of this microwave oven.

Please rate and have a great day:)

Posted on May 29, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

We have a GE profile microwave with inverter tech that will come on for about 5 seconds then shut off. Unplug it and plug it back in it does the same thing. It lets off a terrible smell almost like a...


Remove vent grille, then remove control panel. Check wire to cavity thermostat. Sometime wire bundle and small space causes poor terminal connections on this thermostat and will burn wire terminal. Cut off bad part of the wire, install a small terminal end, reconnect to thermostat. If thermostat is destroyed, also replace thermostat.

Aug 13, 2014 | GE Profile Spacemaker 1.8 Cu. Ft....

1 Answer

My 1000 watt microwave gave off electrical burning smell then stopped working


check inside after removing power... look for melted plastic or burn spot inside.. bad fuse or wire connector.. replace as needed

Apr 09, 2014 | Hamilton Beach Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burning smell or smell stuck in the vent?


sweet smell from an electrical appliance is ozone cause fir high voltage discharge ( like the sweet smelling air after a lightning strike
take it in for a proper diagnosis

May 31, 2017 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Whirlpool over microwave combo has burning smell in microwave


Probably fragments of food burning on the waveguide cover.

Jul 31, 2017 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Electrical burning smell


It is hard to tell what is burning, take it to the repair shop

Mar 12, 2013 | Oster OGG61403 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

MIcrowave emits an electrical smell while cooking. It still cooks, but has started emitting an odor recently when in use.


Is the smell ionized (the outside smell of a cold winter morning air) or more of an electronic component burning??? if it's more of an ionized smell it could be normal, (if the smell is strong) it could be a leaking high voltage cable (electric arching) bad insulator, if it's more of an electronic component burning smell, it could be a overheating component, in both cases you should have it checked by a professional technician...

Cheers!

Jun 25, 2011 | Sharp KB-6024MS Stainless Steel 1000 Watts...

1 Answer

Not heating. Electrical burn smell.


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Basic Microwave Oven TroubleshootingTips

heatman101][[\\[]

May 19, 2010 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Heard a pop and then an electrical smell. Unit is working but a faint electrical smell occurs each time unit used. Should I continue using it? It is built in with a trim kit.


No that is a very dangerous situation. What is sounds like is you had a short that blew apart but not completely damaging the wires. You should unplug, and open it if its out of warranty and inspect the wires. If the wires are partially burned it can heat up and cause an electrical fire.

May 19, 2010 | Panasonic NN-S541 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Wire burning smell from Microware


unplug it.....if on fire, use dry chen extinguisher, if still persistent, dial 911 n get out of the house

Apr 23, 2010 | Thermador MBBS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell from Microwave


If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Dec 27, 2007 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

4,552 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1167 Answers

 Larry
Larry

Level 2 Expert

115 Answers

Shekar Avadhani

Level 2 Expert

61 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...