Error 344 means :-
The remote machine has failed to respond to a fax command from the product because the connection is interrupted.
The remote user has pressed the Stop button while the remote machine was receiving.
Under rare conditions, incompatibility between the two machines can cause the remote machine to simply abandon the call.
- Attempt to send the fax again when telephone-line conditions have improved.
- If the fax session was using error correction, disable ECM.
To disable ECM Press :-
- Press Setup .
- Press the Down arrow ( ) repeatedly until Advanced Fax Setup displays.
- Press OK .
- Press the Down arrow ( ) until Error Correction Mode displays.
Press OK .
- Press the Right arrow (> ) until either OFF or ON displays.
- Press OK .
- Send another fax to verify that the ECM is enabled or disabled.
Check the Phone Cable connected with the printer.
Make sure the Cable should be connected to line 1 port at the back of the printer and it should be going directly from the printer to the wall jack and not to the Serj protector.
Try to print a fax test page.
On the control panel of the product, press the Setup button ( ).
Press the Right Arrow button ( ) to select Tools , and then press OK .
Press the Right Arrow button ( ) to select Run Fax Test , and then press OK . The product displays the test results on the control panel display and prints the Fax Test Report.
Now Do this :-
Send a one page black and white text fax to 1-888-hpfaxme (1-888-473-2963).
When your fax is received by the HP Test Fax Service, we will generate a return fax to you within five minutes confirming that we received your fax. This verifies that you can both send and receive a fax with your fax machine.
If you do not receive a return fax within 5-7 minutes, there may be a problem with the setup of your fax machine. Consult the user manual that came with the product for proper setup and configuration.
Try the above steps and let me know if it works for you.