Question about Sony Playstation 3 (PS3) Console
SOURCE: PS3 laser Problem
It sounds like you bought a defective laser or it is the chip on your "sister board". There is a chip on the circuit board thats on the bottom of the Blu-Ray drive and it has a silver rectangle on it. Some say that that chip is going bad on some machines. I have repaird 60+ PS3's this year and I haven't had this happen to me yet though. I would suggest trying another laser, then if that doesn't work try a "sister board" from the same model of PS3. I'm still not possitive if that is a possible solution though. The "sister board" is supposedly keyed to only work with the mother board it came with. Well, I hope this helps. Good luck!!
Posted on Jul 26, 2008
you can find blu ray drives on ebay.com, amazon.com, newegg.com, and many others.
i hope i have helped and please let me know if you have any questions and let me know how it goes
Posted on Jan 03, 2010
You can try the steps below. Its from PlayStation Forum:
1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.
The current Recovery Menu supports:
• Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
• Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
• Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
• Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
• Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
• System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System
If the above steps still does not solve the problem, then I think will have to update your Ps3.
Update your PS3 (in the settings menu the 1st option).
Go on the internet browser on the PS3 then go on the menu press triangle then on one of them there are delete cookies and the delete the others as
well as cookies.
You could also try this as well: put the PS3 on then press the eject button (with no disc in) then hold it and switch the PS3 off at the back with your finger on the eject button still holding it, then put it back on and the fan test should be working this may cool it down. It might be over heating.
But if your problem is not still solved, then maybe you should call sony for further assistance.
I wish you good luck
Posted on May 16, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
May 16, 2011 | Sony BDP-S550 Blu-Ray Player
May 13, 2009 | Sony PlayStation® 3 (80GB) Console
Feb 22, 2009 | Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray Player
Dec 28, 2008 | LG Super Blu BH200 Blu-ray and HD-DVD...
Jun 15, 2008 | Samsung BD-P1200 Blu-Ray Disc Player
Feb 19, 2008 | Televison & Video
25 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!