Hello, I had similar problem with 2Big Network2 which was freezing the same way. I know the question is old but maybe someone will find this answer useful.
I solved the problem by updating the firmware. It may seem trivial but it took some time to figure out how to do it right.
My firmware was 1.3.7 and I was unable to easily get SSH access.
To upgrade the disk you have to
1. get it recognizable by Lacie Network Assistant. If you have a fixed IP it may not see the disk. To switch your device to DHCP assigned IP you have to reset it to factory settings (without losing data). Procedure from LaCie site works (http://manuals.lacie.com/en/manuals/d2-2big-5big-network2/reset
- Make sure the product is turned OFF.
- Press and hold down the front button. Without releasing the front button, turn the product on by pressing the power switch on the rear of the product.
- Keep the front button pressed until the front LED becomes solid red, then release it. (The LED should become solid red about 10 seconds after you turn on the product.)
- The front LED will blink blue. When it becomes static blue, press the front button once within 5 seconds to confirm reset.
- If any of the steps are omitted, the product will boot normally without resetting.
2. you need the LaCie Network Assistant which you can download from here http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10138
I used 1.5.15 version for windows
3. Once you have the LNA installed it should recognize the disk. However if it doesn't start and says you are missing bonjour service just go to the installation directory and install bonjour.msi
4. At this point you should be able to start LNA which finds your drive. Now you need firmware (capsule file). You can't just load the newest firmware out there. Given fw version can be applied only to certain previous revisions. To check which version you need you have to check your current release. To get your current release open LNA and go to Configuration tab. The current system version is displayed in the bottom-left corner.
I updated mine to next release (from 1.3.7 to 2.0.5).
5. Now you should now to which release you should update. The question is where to get the firmware from if the LaCie support page (http://www.lacie.com/fi/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10201
) does not contain the one you need ? You can use and ftp service (it's not obvious).
Go to ftp://2bignetwork2-update.lacie.com/
(just put this address in files explorer address field) and login with 2bignetwork2 user and 2bignetwork2 password. Then browse for firmware.
6. now assuming you have successfully downloaded the firmware open LNA go to configuration tab and click "Update your NAS.." button. Authenticate with admin user and admin password then browse for the capsule file and begin updating
7. drive will need couple minutes to finish (blinking blue-red) then it will restart and when the light turns solid blue you should be able to get access to the web administration interface.
As other suggested - if you don't want to risk losing data get disk(s) (if in RAID0) and use some linux box or VM to backup data.