Question about GE Profile JS968SFSS Electric Kitchen Range
After searching high and low, there was no solution out there on the internet...so i dug into it and figured it out. Be warned, this is a fairly long and difficult job to do. As with most GE appliances, they are not designed for easy DIY fixing.
A second pair of hands is pretty helpful with this project.
The main problem is knowing what bits to take apart without disassembling the whole oven; here is the best way I know after my 4 hour project was completed:
1. Pull out the range from the counter.
2. Remove the screw from each side on top/back of the unit just below the cooktop - silver in color.
3. Remove the handles and plastic rings from the control face plate, carefully unplug the wiring harness and set faceplate aside.
4. Open oven door, in upper front section you will see 5 screws that hold the control panel on - remove.
5. Remove the steel control panel housing plate from the range - 4 screws.
6. Now the difficult part; you need to unfasten the cooktop assembly from the range - a number of screws will be visible behind the wiring that goes to the housing plate(7 I believe) remove these carefully. You may elect to disconnect all the wiring, but I chose not to.
7. Now you should be able to slide/lift off the cook top, you will need to unplug the wiring harness to lift it completely off.
8. Place the old(broken, most likely) cooktop upside down on the floor or counter with the new one next to it -- best to put a towel underneath the new one.
9. Remove all burner assemblies from the old one, and transfer to new one and secure with screws and brackets. As all burners are tied together this is easiest with 2 people.
10. Reassemble in reverse order.
Posted on Nov 08, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 17, 2014 | GE Profile JB988 Electric Kitchen Range
Jan 21, 2013 | Bang and Olufsen Beosound 4000 Shelf...
Apr 17, 2011 | Whirlpool GR399LXHS Electric Kitchen Range
May 05, 2010 | GE Cooktops
Sep 07, 2009 | Cooktops
Mar 14, 2009 | KitchenAid Architect Series KEBC107KSS...
Oct 03, 2008 | 1965 Ford Mustang
May 29, 2008 | 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
May 06, 2008 | Kitchen Ranges
Jan 20, 2012 | GE Profile JS968SFSS Electric Kitchen...
867 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: