Question about KitchenAid KHMS147 Microwave Oven
I had installed the inside light into the socket located behind the vent grill and under the bulb cover. The light was on as I tried to feed the light into the light receptacle. As I did this the light went out and there was a small snapping noise. The microwave no longer works, no lights on the panel at all. I checked that the outlet still works (yes I should have unplugged the microwave before changing the bulb) and that the curcuit breakers did not trip off. Is it possible that I shorted-out the whole unit? If not what else shoudl I try. Is is worth the expense to have it serviced? The manual does not show that the unit has any internal fuse or reset button. We also let the unit unplugged overnight and replugged in this morning with no success.
Either a fuse blew or the control board is damaged.
A fuse can be replaced pretty easily, but if it's the circuit board, we repair those for $39.95 for customers nationwide. This is a common problem.
Be sure the oven is unplugged. Remove the vent grille again. You will now see a screw at the top of the control panel frame.
Remove that screw, then gently lift up & out and the control panel can be eased away from the chassis so you can see inside to find the fuse.
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
There may also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel, which is very helpful when troubleshooting.
If you think the problem is on the control panel, please feel free to contact me directly.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
William E. Miller, AS-EET
Posted on May 09, 2008
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 28, 2016 | In Microwave Ovens
Feb 11, 2015 | Maytag MMV1164WB Microwave Oven
Aug 10, 2013 | Smeg MD6CAS Microwave Oven
Jun 19, 2013 | Microwave Ovens
Jun 11, 2013 | Neff H5642 Convection / Microwave Oven
Hello - This may or may not be specifically for your model, however these are generics instructions that I found.
To replace the light bulb to the over the range microwave you will need to follow the steps below:
1. To replace light bulb, first disconnect power to the microwave oven at the circuit breaker panel or by unplugging.
2. Remove the vent grill mounting screws.
3. Pull the vent grill away from the unit.
4. Remove the charcoal filter by pushing it inwards, then turn and pull it away from the unit.
5. Open light cover located behind filter mounting by carefully pulling up on the front edge.
6. Remove old light bulb and replace only with equivalent 30 watt bulb available from part distributor. Bulbs are also available at most hardware stores or lighting centers.
7. Replacing the microwave oven light cover by carefully pushing into place. Replace the charcoal filter. Push the vent grill back into place (engaging both the bottom and top tabs) and replace the vent grill mounting screws.
Note: DO NOT USE BULB LARGER THAN 30 WATTS.
Oct 27, 2012 | Frigidaire FMV152K Microwave Oven
May 06, 2010 | Maytag Over-the-Range Microwave
Jan 10, 2009 | GE JVM1870 Microwave Oven
Nov 23, 2008 | Whirlpool MH1150XMQ Microwave Oven
Apr 07, 2008 | Amana AMV6177 Convection/Microwave Oven
82 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: