Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Whirlpool gold g2 microven GH9177XLB-O "smoked"

For about 10 days taking longer and longer to heat or cook. Thought about calling someone.
Then one morning made a "poof" sound and the inside of the microven filled with smoke.
I unplugged it, and it has remained that way. Afraid to plug it back in.
Smells like burned electric wires.
Should I open it up?
Riker

Posted by on

  • pqruch19 Dec 19, 2008

    bought a new home , we were staying on weekends. one morning put oatmeal in pushed instant oatmeal button,when we opened it,there was smoke & it looked like burned spagetti coming out of the top. Everything was melted and black. Called whirlpool they would not help. its been 4months without microwave. builder is going to replace it for me . DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM WHIRLPOOL AGAIN...

×

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Microwave Ovens Master
  • 8,820 Answers

It's most likely a failed high voltage rectifier diode or high voltage transformer.

If you or someone you know wants to look into this, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel, which is very helpful when troubleshooting.

Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/xformer.html

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

William E. Miller, AS-EET
prototech@usa.net
http://www.microwavedisplay.com

Posted on May 09, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Whirlpool gold microwave model gh6208xrs stopped heating


As a service tech do not attempt to service a MW call a professional or replace there are components within that raise voltage from 120VAC to upwards of 5000VDC leave it alone call a pro

Sep 02, 2014 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My whirlpool gold GT4185SKQ-2 microwave won't heat


It's not door switch. It's the microwaves are not being produced. Do to safety issues DO NOT take apart. Replace

Jul 24, 2014 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

G2 microven no coming on....has power to it


The problem is in the magnetron, or the inverter board if less than 7 years old. Part cost alone will approach or exceed the value of a new microwave oven.

Apr 07, 2012 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The GE microven model # GH6177XPT turns on and appears to be working, but does not heat or cook anything.


most likely have a bad magnetron... this is common for these models and to be honest unless you are in the field you going to pay approx..150.00 for repairs go get you a new one..... if all the displays are working and the unit actually starts running but your are not heating i'd be willing to say 98% you got a bad magnetron.... you have to dis-assemble the entire casing to get to the magnetron and replace.... good luck

Dec 31, 2010 | Whirlpool GH6177XP Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The microwave turns on and runs but the oven does not heat the food at all.


well they do go wrong? it could be just an internal fuse or the magnatron? (if iv spelt it right!)
thats the bit that heats the food up,,,there very pricy to replace,,,

Nov 28, 2010 | Whirlpool GH9177XLB Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My g2 microven touch pad will not work, everything else works. I unplugged it and plugged back in ,shows touch error high fail 255 177 and low fail 246 0


Hello there
looks like you have a touch pad that has shorted out and is in need of replacement
please go to www.whirlpool.com and they have a technical help section ok.
best regards mike

Jul 31, 2009 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Sharp microwave losing cooking power


If the supply voltage is low it will take long time to heat foods. The second reason is the Magnetron. Since it is in the warranty period you can call at the sharp authorised service center. They will do it free of coast.

May 04, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Whirlpool Gold microwave doesn't heat


This is usually caused by either a bad door switch, a loose door switch mount (which are pretty simple problems to fix) or occasionally a problem on the control panel.

Even though a door switch clicks, it may still be bad inside.

Door switch or mount trouble is usually caused by slamming the door or by opening the door while it's cooking without hitting the Stop pad first.

There are plastic mounts inside the microwave which hold the door switches and onto which the door latches lock when you close the door.

The screws on these mounts may be loose. If they get too loose, the switches will not be activated properly.

Sometimes it's a broken tab on the switch holder, allowing the switch to rotate just out of position. This tab can be hard to see, since it is under the bottom edge of the switch.

If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical information on safety, disassembly and door switches at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa:.

http://www.microwavedisplay.com/doorsw.txt

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

There may also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting & testing.

If you only need a switch, you can order a universal type here for $5 postpaid.

If you think the problem is on the control panel, we repair these nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid in most cases.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 07, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Timed Power Loss


It sounds like your magnetron is failing, but generally, the most common causes of a failure to heat are:

- bad door switches or door switch mounts
- loose connection at the magnetron
- problem or loose connection on the control unit circuit board
- bad magnetron or other high voltage part (such as a shorted diode)

If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel, which is very helpful when troubleshooting.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Apr 28, 2008 | Whirlpool MH1150XMQ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

668 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...