Question about Jl Audio 12W6v2 Car Subwoofer

1 Answer

Sticky Situation I just recently blew out or maybe tore my subwoofer speaker. Any suggestions on the type of glue/adhesive that I should buy to repair this??? And where to purchase it...... Thanks!

Posted by on

  • Anonymous May 03, 2009

    The foam is seperating from the plastic part of sub. The glue has come undone. Making it crackle on certain higher bass frequency. WIll some type of glue really fix the problem???

  • Graeme Ross
    Graeme Ross May 11, 2010

    Hi g1nxst3r

    What part of the speaker is damaged.




1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 1,512 Answers

Any luck with your speaker. I have some suggestions, but need to know what you are trying to repair. Get back to me when you can


Posted on May 28, 2008

  • Graeme Ross
    Graeme Ross Jun 05, 2008

    Hi, just a quick followup to see how you got on with your
    problem. If you still havent got it sorted, let me know, I am happy to
    do some more research and offer some more information and solutions. If its fixed...
    excellent!! A FixYa rating from you will close this unrated solution
    for me. Thanks for using FixYa. I am happy to answer any other
    questions you may have.





1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

The foam coil came apart the rim of the do you glue that back togather?

If its the foam around the lip then you can use apoxy glue or something of that nature. Just remember you want the glue to be rubber type glue and not hard glue. I've used the sealant you buy for transmission pan gaskets before and its still holding.

Nov 25, 2010 | Rockford Fosgate (P212D4) Car Subwoofer

1 Answer

Repairing 1/4inch tear in foam around sub

click the picture for product website

I used this stuff to repair a tear in the rubber surround on a kicker solobaric 10", it has held up for 10 years, seal the front and back if possible and allow to dry/cure completely. good luck :)

Feb 14, 2010 | Car Audio & Video

1 Answer

Hey type x blew the cone off of it and reattached with glue sub plays fine but ugly. no warranty how much to recone through alpine??

You don't have to buy a recone through alpine. You can, but it will be cheaper to go to the website Go to service request and full that out info. They can make a exact cone and you wish. To go through alpine you have to go to their website.

Jan 22, 2010 | Alpine Car Audio & Video

1 Answer

Subwoofer swr 1221d the Santroprene material from around the inner cone (not the basket) is letting go and i need an adhesive to stick it any idea on the type of adhesive which would work. i am thinking...

I have repaired speakers and surrounds with a good quality silicone sealant available from any hardware store, just make sure to let it dry for a couple of days. Rubber cement works okay too.

Nov 26, 2009 | Alpine SWR-1221D Car Subwoofer

2 Answers

Just want to use the subwoofer with my computer.

i have dont this, in order to do this you need a screwdriver and some wir cutters. fist unplug the subwoofer,the the right speaker with the knob has the controll unit inside of it so we need to open the right speaker, unplug the speaker fom the chip. (ONLY IF YOUR SURE YOU WANT THIS AS A STAND ALONE SUB) then you need to cut the solid black cord that lead to the other speaker. you can also cut the leads that went to the right speaker. undo the hot glue on the inside back of the speaker and gently pull out the funky master cord. you need to unplugh the chip that has the volume controll on it. once the cord is out you can reconnect teh chip to the master cord. i suggest mounting this chip to the top of your subwoofer. you can do this using a lot of hot glue or sticky tack. anthign that does not onduct electricty thats is tacky and wont daage that chipo you can use. and further question contact me at

Jul 13, 2009 | Dell HK395 Computer Speakers

1 Answer

Hole in subwoofer

Hello colinomalley,

You can repair the hole using a flexible permanent adhesive. If all of the cone is still there, I wouldn't use a patch. I'd just put the jagged edges back together. If part of the cone is actually missing, you will need to patch it. Thin fiberglass cloth works pretty well. Use painters tape that will remove easily and cover the hole from the rear of the speaker. Cut the fiberglass cloth about 1/4" larger than the hole and attach it using a silicone based flexible adhesive. Allow it 24 hours to set up completely and then remove the tape from the rear.

A product called "shoe goo" works very well for speaker repairs. It's strong, flexible, and permanent.

Hope this helps.

May 26, 2009 | MTX Road Thunder RT-1240 Car Subwoofer

1 Answer

Sticky Situation

you have to send it to JL to have them replace the whole voice coil, surround and motor structure assembly. I can sell you a new sub with full JL factory warranty for about 475$ shipped to your door straight from their warehouse.

Jun 04, 2008 | Jl Audio 12W7 Car Subwoofer

2 Answers

Car stereo

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you CAN'T rebuild the coil, for a multitude of reasons. It's THEORRETICALLY possible, but pragmatically IMpossible. Trust me, I know. Yes, your speaker is glued together (with VERY strong glues. When you dismantle a speaker you have to replace many parts including the surround and spider...). With that said.... There ARE shops that can repair speakers (and, no, they generally don't handwind coils...), but they are far and few and pretty expensive. A base model sub like that would't be economical to repair. I don't know where you're at, but the only one I know of is "The Circuit Shop" in Grand Rapids, MI. feel free to google them and call for a quote.

Sep 19, 2007 | Car Audio & Video

1 Answer

Making a high powered substitute voicecoil

try this first use steel epoxy ,thinest one you can find.quick drying steel epoxy is normally thick not recom.use thin long drying type.

Aug 11, 2007 | Jl Audio 12W6v2 Car Subwoofer

Not finding what you are looking for?
Jl Audio 12W6v2 Car Subwoofer Logo

Related Topics:

313 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Jl Audio Car Audio & Video Experts

Mark Skinner

Level 2 Expert

77 Answers

Tygh Duval
Tygh Duval

Level 2 Expert

300 Answers


Level 2 Expert

150 Answers

Are you a Jl Audio Car Audio and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides