I tried the above steps, but each time when restarting the DVD player, it said 'reset' and asked for the language to be selected again. Pressing the "Fast Forward Fast Rewind Fast Forward Up Down" sequence caused the player to lock up and require powering off at the wall.
I found on another web site that there are different initial sequences. Once I use the one for Region 2, it worked fine.
I found the instructions below on another web site, but it worked for me...
- Make sure there is no disc in the player.
- Turn on the player (you can use remote control or front panel, it doesn't matter)
- Wait for "No Disc" message to appear on the TV screen.
- Press the Repeat button on remote (plain, not A-B).
- Press the correct sequence of buttons of remote according to the original region code of your player (it's on the sticker on the back panel of the player). FF = fast forward, FR = fast rewind.
- Region 2 players: FF, FR, FF, UP, DOWN
- Region 3 players: FF, PLAY, FR, UP, LEFT
- Region 4 players: FR, PLAY, DOWN, DOWN, RIGHT
- Region 5 players: FF, UP, DOWN, STOP, RIGHT
- Region 6 players: LEFT, RIGHT, RIGHT, PLAY, LEFT
- If you pressed the correct sequence, a small white number 0 will appear somewhere on the top right of the screen. The white number 0 of the same font and size as the "No Disc" message, so don't confuse with the red "not allowed" sign that would appear when you press a function that's not available.
- Turn the player off and on again, then you can pop in a DVD of any region and watch immediately.