Question about Computers & Internet
The easiest would be to connect your desktop straight to your modem and verify that you can connect to the Internet. Do not use the LinkSys WRT54GS yet. Pop in the CD that came with the WiFi Router and run the setup wizard. Follow exactly on screen instructions. Verify that your desktop's networking is set to auto obtain IP address.
Alternately, you can try:
1. connect your desktop with a straight through LAN cable to Ethernet Port #1 of the WRT54GS;
2. set your desktop to use IP-192.168.1.10, Subnet Mask-255.255.255.0, Default Gateway-192.168.1.1;
3. open a browser and goto 192.168.1.1. use the LinkSys supplied username and password;
4. verify/configure/set the LinkSys to your preference;
5. for the time being do not use any security keyphrase, WEP WPA or MAC filter;
6. verify that your laptops could see the router's SSID;
7. verify that all laptops are set to auto obtain IP addresses;
If for some reason neither method will not work, pls post back with your modem's make & model.
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Good luck and kind regards.
Thank you for using FixYa.
Posted on May 07, 2008
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Click the link below for proper cable connections in setting up your wireless network.
Then, configure your wireless connection. The following links provides the step by step instructions for each version of Windows:
I hope this works for you. Kindly reply/comment for further assistance. Good Luck!
Thanks for using Fixya!
DELL Tech ID #456563
TIPS: Is your computer slow? This might help
(for Windows only)
May 08, 2011 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GS Router...
Nov 24, 2010 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GS Router...
Aug 09, 2010 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GS Router...
Apr 29, 2010 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GS Router...
Feb 04, 2010 | Linksys : WRT54GS Wireless-G Router W/...
Oct 13, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GS Router...
Apr 05, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GS Router...
Mar 15, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GS Router...
Feb 24, 2008 | Linksys Wireless-G WRT54GS Router...
104 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!